From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank pop up menus

I've recently started experiencing a glitch that is driving me nuts and am curious if anyone else has seen this or knows a fix.

Frequently, but not always, all of my pop up menus go blank.  This includes any right-click pop up in the front panel, block diagram, or project explorer and drop down selections like for enums and ring controls.  It also includes the file menus at the top of the window.  If I restart my computer, they typically come back, but the probelm occurs again a few hours or days later.  It's strange because the menus still function even though you only see an outline of them.  If you click in the correct place, they still function, you just can't see what to click.  For the main menus in the window (File, Edit, etc) it at least helps to slide the cursor over from the first menu clicked to an adjacent one and then the menu becomes visible and you can slide back to the one originally clicked.

Attached is an example generated by right-clicking the output of an add function on the block diagram.  You can just see the outline of the menu on two sides.

The only pop up menus that do show up when the glitch is active are the main function and control menus activated from right-click.

Any thoughts?  This one is driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Tim

PS: I'm running LV2015 on a 64-bit Win8 machine if that helps.  I've also got LV2011SP1 running on the same machine and haven't noticed the problem with it, although I don't use it as often.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,369 Views)

@PolymerTim wrote:

Any thoughts?

Only that it's probably something to do with the graphics driver, as that's often what seems to be behind this type of issue (although I've never seen this specific variant). I'm guessing the difference in behavior you're seeing is because those menus are drawn using standard APIs and the palettes are drawn by LV itself. I would suggest seeing if you can get an update for the graphics card and whether the most recent update was installed around the time you started seeing this issue.

(3,324 Views)

Hi,

This is not the issue with LabVIEW, Do you face this issue only with LabVIEw or with anyother software in your PC???

Certified-LabVIEW-Associate-Dev_rgb (2).jpg

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Best LabVIEW Programmer @NIDAYS 2015
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,311 Views)

Thanks for the advice, guys.  It certainly makes sense that this could be graphics driver related.  I did get a new computer around the same time I upgraded to LV2015.  I thought this problem slightly predated the new computer, but now I'm doubting my memory on the dates.  I haven't had the issue these last few days.  I'll see if it comes up again and, if it does, I'll try upgrading the grphics driver.

I'll let you guys know if I make any progress or have any other questions.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,235 Views)

OK, I've made some progress figuring this one out, but still have some work to do.

I'm currently working on an image processing routine using the Vision Development Module and this problem only occurs after I run this program.  The problem persists after the program stops running and only goes away if LabVIEW is completely closed and restarted.  I'm somewhat new to image processing in LabVIEW, so I'm still getting used to having to deal with the memory allocations manually and I'm sure my current version is fairly sloppy as I'm just trying to rough out the processing "recipe" that works for my application.  For instance, I don't close some of the images so that I can open up the subroutines that deal with them and troubleshoot more easily in the subroutine without dealing with the main program.  The main program, however, runs in a loop over multiple images, so these named images are being overwritten with each iteration of the loop.

I tried running the IMAQ Dispose VI with the "All Images" boolean set to true and the problem goes away immediately.  So apparently this has something to do with my poor memory management of images.  I'm still working through the details, but wanted to pass along what I've seen so far.  I'll share more as I figure it out and certainly welcome any feedback from you guys as well.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,133 Views)

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've clarified the problem further, although still don't have a solution.  Since I better understand the context of the problem and that it is related to Vision code, I'm moving the discussion to the Vision board here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/Arrays-of-Images-with-Different-Heights-Causing-Menu-Blanking...

I've posted an example vi that demonstrates the problem there if anyone is interested.

Sorry for the double post, just seems to make sense now that this is clearly a Vision related issue.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,058 Views)