LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black strip in front panel

I faced this problem in LabVIEW 2010, so i think it is independent of LabVIEW version. I restarted the LabVIEW and computer many times but the problem did not get resolved.

I then went to coding window and copied all logic (Ctrl+A) and pasted it in new VI, doing this will also copy the front panel elements without problems and the problem is resolved. If this is a bug then its seems quite rare to appear but if not resolved then headache for developer.

With Regards

Miraz
Kudos is better option to thank somebody on this forum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 32
(1,600 Views)

Check in the VI properties the minimum panel size and other related settings as well as the runtime position settings. Sometimes these settings can get messed up, usually when upgrading inconsisten VIs from an earlier version of LabVIEW but also by fiddling with the various settings of showing or hiding menu, toolbar and scrollbars while the minimum panel size is set to something. All these settings influence each other and it can be tricky to adjust for the changes that each of them causes in the other areas. Usually removing the minimum panel size and possibly reapplying a new one afterwards will solve most of these issues.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 12 of 32
(1,588 Views)

Wow! That sounds promising!

What do I set the min panel size to?

I think SHOW or HIDE scrollbars messes it up too and I see you suggest fiddling with these...

How do you think this seems to be triggered by adding color to panel elements??

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(1,556 Views)

I am having the same issue, please forward the solution or work around if any.

Thanks, Regards,

Shrek

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(1,514 Views)

The suggestions listed so far did not fix it.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(1,488 Views)

Have you tried copying and pasting your block diagram into a new VI?

That is what worked for me in the other message thread you posted into here.

Mind you it didn't directly fix the problem VI.  But it did get me a VI that didn't have a problem.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(1,479 Views)

Copying a simple front panel is viable but my front panel consists of over 250 controls over 6 tabs....

THEN, I would have to connect all those beautiful elements to the programming window consisting of a sequence structure of 20 elements with 3 parallel while loops..

I would prefer that the newer LavBIEW interface work as SUPER DUPER awesome as good ole LabVIEW 6.1.f1 That version was KILLER, and the installers was AWESOME, Small and ONLY grabbed the necessary elements that were called fro from the calling program. It was the best version, in my opinion, of LabVIEW...

LabVIEW is becoming more "bloatware" but STILL.. It is the most awesome programming environment and the SERVICE provided by NI is BEYOND EXTRAORDINARY..

So.. I am left in a quandry.. The best run company on the planet has to "keep up" with our "expectations" of what an interface SHOULD be but in so doing there are bugs such as this that only the SUPER DUPER HOTTEST devewloper can find...

When they find it I am sure they will fix it. My doubts is these threads are not read by the RIGHT developers.. In the Old Days I could actually talk to some of the super duper HOT SHOTS... Not anymore though....Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(1,466 Views)

It does seem like it is a hard bug to reproduce, and the right developers who could find it and fix it probably either aren't on it, or just haven't had any luck yet.

Just to be clear, I'm saying to copy your entire BLOCK DIAGRAM,  Ctrl-A  Ctrl-C.  Paste it into the block diagram of a brand new VI.  (Ctrl-V).  I find that all of the front panel also copies over from the old VI to the new VI intact.  I just tried this with a VI I'm working on and it looks fine.  I have a tab control with 8 tabs.  Lots of controls that are not in the tab control but scattered around while I'm debugging.  I don't know how many controls/indicators I have in total, but it probably is 100-200

Now there is only a bit of other stuff you might need to do.

1.  Connect the connector panel of your new VI to the controls.

2.  Recreate your VI icon.

3.  Go through the VI properties and set things like execution settings for anything that may not be default.

4.  Set your window size.

5.  ......  Other stuff I may not be thinking of right now.

Overall, it is not that much work.

I never used LabVIEW 6.1  (started with 7.1), so I don't no how super duper that version was.  But I am far happier working with LV 2014 now then I would be in an older version.  This front panel corruption bug only happened to me once and was easy enough to overcome (and it was in LV version 5 years ago), that I wouldn't ever trade the new version for for something even older.

Message 18 of 32
(1,451 Views)

VERY VERY VERY COOL!

I did not know that!

I will try it for sure!

IO tried it and it WORKS... You need to copy the BLOCK DIAGERM..

There are a bunch of silly EXTRA controls that show up that need to be fixed but I am confident, with a small amount of work, that it can be fixed..

How do we give MORE than one KUDOS to Ravens Fan??

Thanks a million!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(1,440 Views)

Ravens Fan... You started with LV 7.X.. That was the very worst one.. Do not get me wrong.. I LOVE LV and use it ALL THE TIME.. 

But, you gotta know that 6.1.f1 was AWESOME because it built the smallest footprint executables and was FLAWLESS! I even got a 510K Medical approval on a program I wrote. That thing was ROBUST to the MAX...

What I am using now, 2013 is VERY VERY VERY nice EXCEPT that the Application Builds are SUPER DUPER HUGE and customers piss and maon, even when I try to put in ONLY what is needed, like ONLY English, and ONLY Serial and DAQ.. AND.. it doew not always work for every customer.... Smiley Sad

Thanks soo much for your idea! I will remember THAT one!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(1,420 Views)