LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to stream elements of a cluster to a log file?

I've got a fairly hefty typedeffed cluster whose values I'm interested in. It only has doubles and booleans in it, no arrays or further clusters. Is there a way to programmatically grab the values within the cluster and convert them to a 1D array of strings to be logged to a CSV? I can explore other logging methods if need be. I tried using VariantType.lvlib, and got this far:

But as it turns out, the value tags don't get passed in from the first Cluster Info vi.

VI attached for reference.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,156 Views)

Try the MGI "Read Write Anything". You should be able download it from VIPM.

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,146 Views)

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. In the meantime, I ended up replacing that "Cluster Info" VI with a "Cluster to VData Array" from the OpenG Variant palette which gave the desired behavior.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,131 Views)

A little-known feature of the Variant-to-Data node is that it can convert a cluster to an array of variants.   This is faster than the OpenG function.  

-- James

PS Doesn't work in the other way sadly: link to idea.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,111 Views)

If the type of file .csv is not mandate then you can log the file in Binary Format, where you can save cluster data without any conversion and read back again

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,093 Views)
The file must be human readable.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,089 Views)

Why are you not just using the existing OpenG Config or MGI liraries that write in INI format?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,083 Views)
The stream of data is continuous. A spreadsheet is the best format that I know of for this purpose.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,081 Views)

Your over-riding requirement appears to be that the file be human-readable.  You are "settling" for a string representation, which is fine for a Boolean, but perhap less satisfactory for Dbl data (I forget how many digits of precision -- around 15? -- are carried in the Dbl format).  Depending on how you format the representation of the Dbl, you'll get an "N-digit" approximation of the value (which, admittedly, is a 52-bit "approximation" to a real number) or a hard-to-read string of (possibly unnecessary) digits.

There is a way to "have your cake" (Human-readable) and "eat it, too" (retain native representation) -- instead of using LabVIEW's "Spreadsheet" File I/O functions (which write String representations/approximations of your data), you could, instead, save the data in an Excel WorkSheet.  An Excel cell can "adapt" to the type of data stored in it -- if it is a Dbl, it can be held in "human-readable" format (with whatever display precision you desire), yet retain all of the bits-of-precision "under the hood".

Your task is a little more complicated by the (apparent) need to accept either Boolean or Dbl, but with the type not known, apparently, until run-time (which appears to be why you went through all of the shenanigans with Variants).  Something you might consider, if this situation should happen again, is to write a Polymorphic "Store" function that can handle both a Boolean and a Dbl input (look up Polymorphic VIs in LabVIEW Help).

You can use the LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit (if you have it) to create true Excel Worksheets.  You can use the Excel Easy Table VI to handle the placement of a "table" (a 2D array of Text or Dbl) into Excel.  Right away, however, we run into two (minor) problems -- Easy Table, though it is polymorphic, only accepts Text or Dbl data, so we'd have to change the Boolean to a TRUE/FALSE text string.  Second, what do you do if you need to save single values (as you may not know whether you are saving a Boolean or a Dbl)?  Simply -- Build Array twice will turn a scalar -> 1D array -> 2D array (albeit a 1x1 array).  The final question is how do you control whether you are writing a row or a column of data?  Use the Start input and two "Next Cell" outputs (and Shift Registers) to either make "next cells" line up "top-right" (in a row) or "bottom-left" (in a column).

This may be much too much effort, gross overkill, but since you "love math" (as do I), seem to be "getting into" LabVIEW (oop, I didn't mean to make a pun), and seem interested in some of the nooks and crannies, I thought I'd comment.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,068 Views)
Thanks Bob, I always appreciate new input! Although I'm not sure how polymorphic VIs help the unknown-till-runtime problem.

Another option I'm considering is storing logs in an SQLite database table. In my experience, inserts can take variant (cluster) inputs and work fine, as long as the table you're inserting to has matching column formats. Added bonus of being allowed to do aggregates of all your logs, as well as nice integration into Excel natively via the Data tab. Which table you would be inserting to isn't known until runtime, so there's that buggery to deal with, but simple enough when you dynamically dispatch those settings based on the type of thing inserting to the database, as well as taking the time to set up the tables before your first run.

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,063 Views)