From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Export Data to Excel

Okay so I know this is a somewhat frequented topic but I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for. My goal is to export five different columns of data to an Excel file. I can do that currently but what I'm lacking is the proper labeling for each column of data. How exactly do you create those header labels? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,836 Views)

If you want a robust solution, just move to tdms files! I use them all the time, channels are columns, groups are worksheets when you export a tdms file to Excel using the free plugin. Plus tdms is an open published file format.

You just get much more using tdms files compared to native Excel files. It is also faster to read it, and easier to integrate them in a database...

Message 2 of 5
(2,832 Views)

Okay I'm totally down to utilize tdms files. Is there anyway to include code in the LabVIEW program to export the tdms file to excel so that the user only sees the saved excel file? Additionally, is there anyway you could include a very simple program showing how to use the tdms VI. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,797 Views)

If you go to the Search function on the Forums and type "Revised " (the word "Revised" followed by a space), you'll find an example I wrote several years ago that may (partly) answer your question.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,778 Views)

hhook94 ha scritto:

Okay I'm totally down to utilize tdms files. Is there anyway to include code in the LabVIEW program to export the tdms file to excel so that the user only sees the saved excel file? Additionally, is there anyway you could include a very simple program showing how to use the tdms VI. 

Thanks again!

Since you're not familiar with TDMS format, I'll also point out that TDMS files can be opened with Excel just by installing this add-in and double-clicking the file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,749 Views)