LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandpass gives me no results

No problem Bill 😉

I though about it but when you use a low pass and then a high pass, the results are a bit worse than with a Bandpass... Nevertheless, I will try this solution to see if there is the same problem with those filters...

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(728 Views)

Tom_VM,

It is not clear to me why the Equi-Ripple Bandpass Filter.vi is not working.  It generates error -20031 for which the possible reasones are: "The filter cannot be designed with the specified input values." That is not a particularly useful error message. Changing Ordre du filtre finds several values for which the filter generates an output.  The Detailed help for this VI says it will have an empty array output for any error. It also specifies how many "extra" samples are in the output.

By comparison I connected a Butterworth Filter.vi to your data.  I selected Bandpass as the filter type and wired Ordre du filtre, the pass freq controls, and Fe to the appropriate inputs. This filter works over a wide range of settings.  The Butterworth filter has a very smooth passband although its transitions to the stop band are slower than many other filter types.  The image below has the original data at the top, the Equi-Ripple filter in the middle and the Butterworth filter at the bottom.  The graphs on the right show the last 1000 samples so you can see the nosie removal effects.  Also note the phase shift. All graphs have the same Y-axis scales. Note the initial transient on the Butterworth filter.  All filters have such transients. I suspect that the Equi-ripple may be trying to compensate in some way and that may be where the problem occurs.  

Ordre3.png

This image shows the effect of the Butterworth filter with your default settings (Ordre = 24). The Equi-Ripple VI generates an error at this setting.

Ordre24.png

It often helps to look at the spectrum of a filtered signal.

Input spectrum.png Input spectrum

Equi-Ripple Ordre3.png  Equi-Ripple Ordre = 3

Butterworth Ordre3.png  Butterworth Ordre = 3

Butterworth Order24.png Butterworth Ordre = 24

I have enclosed the VI which I modified so you can try various parameters for yourself. Unless you have strong interference in the stopband, I think the Butterworth filter may be adequate for your needs.

Lynn

Message 12 of 19
(721 Views)

Firstofall, I want to thank you for your work Johnsold.

Then I want to told you that I hadn't though to use the Butterworth filter... I was trying to fix the equi-ripple... without success. With the datas you gave me, I see that the Butterworth filter is better than the equi-ripple for the same order. Although, if the response of the butterworth is a quiet "noisier" than the other, it's not a big deal because I want to create a programm to calculate automaticaly with a high precision the frequency of my input signal. So I use the filter to find (with a linearization) the zero crossing points and calculate the gap between each. I find the frequency with the mean of all the gaps. So I want to have an output signal with only 2 zero crossing points by period. So my signal should be very robust to the noise...

I will try the Vi you sent me with differents configurations to see what kind of output signal I could find.

Thanks you very much !

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(705 Views)

Have you tried frequency domain methods? You might be able to get the data you want by using Extract Single Tone Information.vi from the Signal Processing palette. When I run it on your raw data it returns frequency of 49.999946 Hz, amplitude = 0.99951, and phase = 1.63 degrees. Given the noise on that signal, you probably will not do much better.  When I run it on the filtered signal the values are f = 49.885598, A = 0.92794, theta = -57.87.

If you have strong interfering signals the advanced search should help.

This is what I added to the VI I posted the other day.

Single tone.png

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(690 Views)

No I haven't tried this but it seems to be exactly what I want to do !
But I have a question : What treatment is there in this VI ? How could he find such results with my input signal (sinus 50Hz + 10% noise signal + temporal distorsion on each point) ?

I will work on it to find what kind of functions are behind this...

Thanks a lot for your knowledge, again !

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(679 Views)

You can open the block diagram on the Extract Single Tone Information.vi to see what is in there.  Ultimately it uses a Fourier Transform.

The nice thing about using the frequency domain for this kind of problem is that the Fourier transform of the noise is spread over the entire spectrum while all of the signal energy is in one place.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(668 Views)

Hello,

Yesterday, I tried to use the Extract Single Tone Information.VI but I have a problem about the accuracy. On my computer, the frequency is approximated to 50.00 Hz... How could I fix the number of significant numbers to have 50.000001 ? I searched in the subVI about a %Xf but I didn't find it...

Could you please tell me how I can do that ?

Thanks a lot.

In another part, I worked on the Fourier Transform which is perform under the Signle Tone Information.VI and this is quiet clear for me. Thank you for this help.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(654 Views)

Pop up on the control on the front panel and select Display Format... or Properties from the menu. You can change the number of digits and whether it uses digits of precision or significant digits.

Internally the wire always maintains the full precision of the datatype (~15 digits for DBL).

Lynn

control properties.png

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(645 Views)

Thank you very much for this simply little thing...

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(643 Views)