LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad conversion of Hostname to IP.

@fabioalmeidaa wrote:

I mean LAN when i use a laptop in my home network to access, and remote when I use a machine from a different location.

You're trying to do name look ups for systems that most likely don't have their names registered outside of your local network. In order for DNS to work properly your systems have to register their name with a DNS server. Local names are almost never advertised to the internet as a whole. In addition, your network will have a different IP address on the internet then it will on your local LAN even if the name was registered. Most home networks don't even have a fixed (static) IP address and use NAT (single IP address to the outside world).

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 11 of 17
(674 Views)

That's why I recommended creating his own filter.

If they always have the convention nnn-nnn-nnn-nnn.somename.com.br then why not filter the front ip-ish portion and create the IP address..

Ex

189-99-29-228.user.vivozap.com.br

In that case, filter out from the first period and you get

189-99-29-228 then replace the hyphens by periods and you get

and use that as the IP address.. 

Message 12 of 17
(663 Views)

Thank you guys, I guess that filter is my best option. I will look for some examples of string search and conversion.

Really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(660 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

That's why I recommended creating his own filter.

If they always have the convention nnn-nnn-nnn-nnn.somename.com.br then why not filter the front ip-ish portion and create the IP address..

Ex

189-99-29-228.user.vivozap.com.br

In that case, filter out from the first period and you get

189-99-29-228 then replace the hyphens by periods and you get

and use that as the IP address.. 

This still may not resolve his issues accessing the device remotely. If the 189.99.29.228 address is the local address there is a very good chance that will not be th eaddress to access it from outside (remotely) the network. In addition, there is also the possibility of firewall settings coming into play.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(655 Views)

Agreed...

If the network is outside the local one, then it is not-likely he will be able to get that convention.  So you are right.  But that is why I mentionned "If they always have the convention nnn-nnn-nnn-nnn.somename.com.br"

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(651 Views)

Even if they use that convention it is unlikely it will work for both inside and outside access since the addresses are most certainly going to be different as I explained earlier. The filter willl most likely only work on one side or the other and not both.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(646 Views)

I think we're saying the same thing.  Maybe I should not have suggested a filter at all..  And resolve the root cause.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(641 Views)