LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Idea: Making default behavior of "built in mouse wheel support" set to on key focus

@thutch79 wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

I have noticed this too, but I swear long before 2013.

You should not have to scroll around a user interface to begin with.

If you can not fit a user interface on one screen of the target machine it's time to rethink your interface.

I suggest dividing things up by task and using a tab control.

and this is why I now hate posting in this forum.....

People just love to tell you how you should be doing something, and not focusing on the topic of the thread. If everyone is going to get stuck on the "UI's should not have scroll bars" soap box, see the attached screen shot. This problem arose from a settings pop-up dialog. I could have used tabs, but in this case it makes more sense for the users to move top to bottom in a linear fashion through the process they are setting up.

My point in all this is why would NI make this the default behavior? I like the feature, but it should have been something that a designer has to actively turn on.

Maybe it's a Windows default behavior? I know LabView is not the only software I have used that does this. Quite frankly if a user does not click away or hit enter then their settings have not really been applied. So it's also a user training issue.

But if really if you can not take criticism good and bad then maybe you should not post on a public forum. I have had my code ripped to shreds and held up for everyone to laugh at in this forum. It sucks, but I believe it has made me a better programmer.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(642 Views)

It may be an OS issue because I do not see this with the example poste when I run it on the Mac. The windoe scrolls regardless of the position of cursor.

I put the control in a while loop so I could check while it runs and scrolling works OK there, too. 

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(630 Views)
That's interesting. I've only tried it in Windows. I did check both 2012 and 13 and the behavior is different. You can certainly turn it off, but it is on by default. In fact, in UIs previously written in 2012, the behavior changed after the switch to 2013. That's what I was most annoyed about.

While I like the option, I can only see it being a problem. Imagine you have a knob that controls a voltage. The user changes the value. When they go to move the mouse somewhere else and accidentally bump the scroll wheel. Now the voltage jumps to something unwanted potentially ruining an experiment.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(616 Views)

@thutch79 wrote:
That's interesting. I've only tried it in Windows. I did check both 2012 and 13 and the behavior is different. You can certainly turn it off, but it is on by default. In fact, in UIs previously written in 2012, the behavior changed after the switch to 2013. That's what I was most annoyed about.

While I like the option, I can only see it being a problem. Imagine you have a knob that controls a voltage. The user changes the value. When they go to move the mouse somewhere else and accidentally bump the scroll wheel. Now the voltage jumps to something unwanted potentially ruining an experiment.

I think the behavior in 2013 is more logical, since a control that has the focus should be the control to receive the input.  That being said, changing the default behavior on something so fundamental is asking for trouble...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(594 Views)

Okay, well, FWIW I am having the same frustration as the OP, especially with scrolling listboxes/tables in the UI next to single value numeric controls. Undoubtedly, I DO suck at UI design; not that I don't intend to remedy this, but for now it'd be helpful not to have valve duration jump by tens of ms on a running engine when I bump the scroll wheel.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the fact that this is default behavior for newly placed controls? I can't find an option that would have this effect, only the 'key navigation' property tab for an individual control. (screenshot)

It sure would make life easier if I could expect not to have to change this for every control I add in the future... I'd even be willing to kludge a config file or something to make this happen.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(550 Views)

Matteci,

A couple quick things.

This forum has not been talked on in about 3 months. This usually means that very very few people would be looking at a post this old. What I would encourage you to do is open up a new thread so that it can get maximum exposure from other people that can help you. 

When you do this, I would try attaching your code. If you can not attach all your code, make a new VI and replicate just what you are seeing so that we can all be on the same page. Some people's default programming setup could be different than yours so it is possible that placing things on your interface will appear differently than on others. That is why attaching a VI to a post is helpful.

Douglas Choisnet
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(514 Views)

Douglas,

Thanks for pointing out the age of the thread, I did notice that after I posted. Interesting to have it reccomended that I start a new one, too- I've so often seen others chastised for starting new threads when another already exists with more background info and contributors.

Makes sense, though, I appreciate the tips.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(500 Views)

I think posting here is fine, the thread gets bumped up the list when you reply.  Plus it shows that you actually did a serious search before posting.

As to the question, the best available option is probably to create a few custom controls with the option set to 'none' and put them on your palette.

Message 18 of 18
(481 Views)