LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backwards compatible? Can I write software in 2015 SP1 and expect it to run well in 2013 SP1? What features will not work?

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to put together some labview software on my current computer and run it on a different computer in a different country in a month. I've been told the computer that I will eventually be running on abroad has Labiew 2013 SP1. I do not have Labview on my current computer and figured I would install the same 2013 SP1 version ito ensure compatibility. However, it appears this is not an option. When I go to download products my options are 2012, 2012 SP1, 2014 SP1, 2015, and 2015 SP1. 

So what is the best move here? Can I install 2015 SP1 and expect everything to work ok when I go abroad? I'm assuming not. Why is 2013 SP1 not an option for me? Do I need to see if the guys abroad can update to the latest version? What if they cannot?

Thank you,

Trevor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,177 Views)

I have trouble believing that you are not allowed to install LabVIEW 2013.  The search engine is kind of dumb.  Try being more specific when searching for the download.  I just did a search for "LabVIEW 2013 SP1" under the "Product Downloads" section and managed to find it there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,171 Views)

Thanks for the prompt reply. I see what you're talking about. I was looking under the quick link to Labview downloads. When I do the search you are talking about I only see indivual modules...FPGA, Realtime, vision, softmotion, NXT, etc. Shouldn't there just be an all included download?

Also if I was to download the latest version, would the software I create run in 2013 SP1, or would I encounter issues?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,155 Views)

Search request in Downloads 

LabVIEW 2013 SP1 32 bit -patch -Run-Time

The first link is required download

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-development-system-2013-sp1/4527/en/

Generally saving back for previous version works good, but I did not try it on large project. 

Message 4 of 12
(3,143 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tgrieco

Like the others said, the best option is to get the same version. If for some reason you really can't, I would suggest getting an older version, because while you can write the code in a newer version and backsave, there are at least two issues which can bite you if you're not well aware of how they work:

1. If you used newer features, they will not work in the older code. What you actually get depends on the specific feature you use.
  2. When you backsave, I'm pretty sure LV does a hierarchy save, which means if you have VIs which are in external folders which are not vi.lib, it will create copies of them and then you might have a harder time untangling the dependencies.

This doesn't happen if you use an older version, because the newer version will simply open it.

How come when I follow this link there is no available download? It prompts me to register a serial number (attached screen shot). I've registered a serial number provided by the university but still have no download options.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,076 Views)

Are you logged into NI.com when you went to this page?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,045 Views)

Yes I am. I double checked to confirm (attached images shows I am logged in).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,041 Views)

Okay.  That's good.

Next thing is to click the link that says "register your serial number  to access previous versions".

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,038 Views)

Right. So I've done that. And under products it already displays my academic site license. there is a drop down menu next to this license that has the option to download past versions. I have followed this and been unable to find 2013 sp1

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,032 Views)