cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background vi execution in application builder

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have to build a standalone application from a .vi which relies on a second .vi running at the background to ensure a secure ending of the controlled system in case the first .vi would fail or the user may close it the wrong way. That second .vi will be opened by reference by the first one and will monitor the "running" state of the main .vi. Part of why this background .vi is there is to avoid the problems of the computer freezing the first .vi or the process stopping unexpectedly.

While building the standalone application I can add this background .vi to the "always included" and it will operate the desired way if the user clicks the red stop button or any other issue which does not imply a harsher end of the operation. When the .exe would freeze or the user closes the process by brute force the background .vi will not act as it should.

Is there any way to create two standalone applications from these .vis and have them interacting as the .vis were, that is, monitoring the execution state of each other and passing parameters between them?

Thank you very much in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,150 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ricewind

Network shared variable or TCP/IP seems the easiest.

Though why cant you simply start both from a main VI and have access to events and queues to communicate?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 2 of 3
(2,146 Views)

Thank you, that was very helpful 🙂

I created a general .vi to handle all the things bellow and it works fine

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,111 Views)