From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUILDING A SERIAL RS-232 TO GPIB CONVERTER

I am using an agilent hp-8648B signal generator and a hp-E4403B spectrum analyzer,both of them have a GPIB connector only.

I want to control them by the serial connection-so I need to build a VI to connect by the serail and I need hardware to convert from the serial connection to the GPIB.

Anybody have and idea how to do that? or reference to schematics of this circuit and software if needed?

Thanks

Tzviel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,378 Views)
Do you have to build one for there are serial to gpib products available.
בובי
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,363 Views)
If you are building your own I recommend using a hardware gpib analyzer such as the one made by iotech. This instument is also great for learning to program using Labview serial to gpib, simulating other instuments and learning GPIB. It is no longer available from Iotech but some can still be found elsewhere. Here is the manual for it if you are interested: http://www.iotech.com/productmanuals/analyzer488/0users/manual.pdf
בובי
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,353 Views)
I have allready built a serial ti ETHERNET converter and a serial to USB so I want to build also a seril-GPIB.

It will cost less then to buy one.
It should be a simple circuit,just to transfer data.

I hope it is not hard,and I am sure someone had built one by himself.

Tzviel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,350 Views)
Do you mind sharing the serial to ethernet and serial to usb schematic and driver?
בובי
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,330 Views)
oops, there was an error in the url. here is the correct one. http://www.iotech.com/productmanuals/analyzer488%20users%20manual.pdf
בובי
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,316 Views)
And may I inquire as to the serial number of your LabView software? After all it is cheaper to....
With all that high ticket Agilent equipment, a few hundred bucks for a GPIB card is a drop in the bit bucket.

Just my rant, but why expend all that time building someone else's design, doing PWA artwork, debugging, writing drivers, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,302 Views)
Man, it sure got quiet in this thread. Have you built your converter yet?
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,114 Views)
I am still workinh on it.

It will take some time because I didn't find yet the right software for the micro-controller,so maybe
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,242 Views)
I am still workinh on it.

It will take some time because I didn't find yet the right software for the micro-controller,so maybe
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,241 Views)