LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B&K Portable Signal Analyzer Binary Data Files

Solved!
Go to solution

I am currently using a B&K 2144/7651 Portable Signal Analyzer.  I'd like to start a project to display the binary data files created by the analyzer in Labview.  I have the technical documentation that specifies the formatting of the binary files and they have example code written for Pascal but I have no idea how to translate that to Labview.  If anyone has experience with these data files or could give me a hint on how to parse the Labile files I would appreciate it.

I can post the technical doumentation but I have to scan it first.

Thanks

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,419 Views)

There is no simple way to do this. You will have to create a state machine and take in the file as a binary file then you will have to parse through it using the string Hexadecimal (Hex) Display. This could be a long and tedious process depending on how involved the technical documentation is.

I am attaching a program that I wrote (LabVIEW 8.0) to parse through a MIDI file. It has a fairly simple format. This code is not complete and I did not attach the custom subVIs so it will not be runnable but you can use it as an example of what you can do. I used the String Subset and Type Cast subVIs a lot. I chose to output it in an array format and then later I extracted out of the array other data that I needed.

I hope this helps you get started!!
Vince M
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,386 Views)

Hi Arvin, Vince,

Is there a relationship between the MIDI file-format and the format used by B&K?  If adapting the MIDI code becomes a struggle, then...

If you scan/post the Pascal source for the file reader/writer, I'll have a go at translating a reader into LabVIEW.

Pascal was used to teach the CS cirriculum where I started college (by the time I graduated they were using Java! Smiley Wink - )

BTW, I looked for the Pascal code on B&Ks web-site, but had no luck identifying any info for either of the part#s in your post!Smiley Sad

Cheers.

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,373 Views)

TBD - Thanks for looking at the Tech Doc.  You are right there is not alot of informaiton for this device on the B&K Website.  I have included a couple of Data files as well.

I'm not sure how much work it will take to replicate the pascal example in labview but a hint in the right direction will be helpful.

Thank agian,

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,355 Views)

Hi TBD,

There is no relationship between the two file formats. I was posting that as an example of one method that could be used for parsing through a binary file. It may be simpler translating from Pascal to LabVIEW if you are familiar with Pascal.

Good luck,

Vince M
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,346 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author arvin_labrat

Hi arvin,

Just wanted to share the work to-date - it's not quite done but I gotta get some sleep.

Will probably finish tomorrow/today(later)

Cheers! 

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Message 6 of 11
(4,332 Views)

TBD

Wow - Thank you

That's kind of what i figured it would take - Really Big Clusters - but I wasn't quite sure were to begin.

I was trying to give you more Kudos but I think I messed up.  Never mind I figured it out.

Thanks again

Eric

Message Edited by arvin labrat on 10-29-2008 12:33 PM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,314 Views)

Hi Arvin,

Thanks much for the Kudos! Smiley Happy

Here's a first "possbly useful" LLB.  The main thing is the data arrays are being populated!

I hope you'll forgive me for not unpacking the entire "Setup" section - Smiley Tongue - I wasn't sure you needed it all(?)  As is, enough Setup is unpacked to interpret the Data correctly plus a bunch more.

Please give it a test-drive and let me know if you need any unrepresented Setup values (or all of them.)

Cheers!

Message 8 of 11
(4,297 Views)

Hi, colleagues.

The system software of my B&K 2144 analyzer is corrupted (retention test could not be completed ERR9304, please, see attached photo), apparantly  because the device was not used for longer time ond not powered on:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l277/dzymytch/BK2144_zps438317e7.jpg

However, i can't find a floppy disk with the requred system software to solve problem with my device. I would as  or any body have the floppy disk with the system software ?

Best regards,

Dmitriy.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,482 Views)

Hello Dzymytch,

You'd probably be better off contacting Bruel & Kjaer if your issue involves software for the device itself. 

Jonathan L.
Technical Support Senior Group Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,443 Views)