From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic rewire of control through structure

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently switched from LabVIEW 2015 to 2017 and noticed that in this version when you move a control from inside to outside of a structure (like a case statement or whatever), it will automatically rewire so it is still connected to other contents of the structure.

I thought i liked this at first until i realized how often i grabbed objects and moved them outside of a structure for the purpose of breaking all the wires.  Is there a way to turn this new feature off?  

I'd prefer if it worked the way it always has and if you wanted to have it automatically carry the wires you could hold down ALT as you dragged or something.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,048 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yometric21

From the LV help:

Maintaining Wire Connections When Moving Objects
LabVIEW 2017 automatically maintains wire connectivity when you move objects in and out of structures on the block diagram. When an object moving in or out of a structure is connected to an object in the structure, LabVIEW creates or removes tunnels to maintain wire connectivity. You can toggle automatic wire connectivity when moving objects by pressing the <W> key.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 11
(5,024 Views)

Thank you! 

I must have tried searching every possible variation of "rewiring when moving object" but never searched the term "maintaining" so i missed that.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,014 Views)

I had difficulty searching for this too. Does anybody know if there is a secret ini file entry to turn this off completely? I find it really quite irritating.

yenknip, I am not aware of any workaround to the "maintain wire connections" feature. I could understand the frustration of not being able to toggle that functionality though. That may be a good post for the Idea Exchange. The Idea Exchange is a forum where customers can propose ideas for how to improve LabVIEW functionality. This is the best way for an idea to gain traction for the future. The Idea Exchange can be found here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideas

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,892 Views)

Frankly, I shouldn't have to submit an idea request to disable an annoying new feature that only got 27 kudos to begin with. 

If someone had time to implement HiliteExecutionPride, I am sure they added an ini key for MaintainWireConnections and just forgot to document it.

For posterity, there is an idea submission.

@Norbert_B wrote:

From the LV help:

Maintaining Wire Connections When Moving Objects
LabVIEW 2017 automatically maintains wire connectivity when you move objects in and out of structures on the block diagram. When an object moving in or out of a structure is connected to an object in the structure, LabVIEW creates or removes tunnels to maintain wire connectivity. You can toggle automatic wire connectivity when moving objects by pressing the <W> key.

I was having trouble using the <W> key to suppress this functionality. I realized it doesn't work if you are holding <SHIFT> to restrain the movement of your terminal. The solution is to release <SHIFT> before pressing <W>.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,732 Views)

Another quirk is that you have to press the <W> button before you select anything.  Not sure what the rule actually is but it looks like complex selections (mixed types of objects?) with lots of wires will still still be rewired if W is held down.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,236 Views)

Same here.  I do it on purpose to break the wires!

National:  PLEASE provide INI switches for features like this.  - Thanks

Message 9 of 11
(4,185 Views)
me too
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,123 Views)