LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to understand object/class data and the actor framework...

I'm currently trying to understand why changing a typedef within class data of a class (named measurement.lvclass) causes all of the "launch nested actor" vi's to break.  I feel like I'm trying to use a ratchet with a phillips screw or something, is there something I'm fundamentally missing here? 

I was under the impression that you can populate class data clusters with information that might require read/write in different methods (the vis in the measurement class called by the do.vi of that particular msg class... we still call them methods right?).

thx

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,430 Views)

Welp, as it turns out it has nothing to do with actor framework...   it's just that a vi deep down in the code was missing the type def, which broke everything through the call chain.  

and now I have another post to my name making my avatar gif all the more relevant...

-pat

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,404 Views)

One thing you should take into consideration is that classes will usually be broken if they have typedefs with unapplied changes, causing you to see many broken VIs.

The second important thing is that the error list window has a useful feature - the VIs which are actually broken are at the top of the list and have a red X - that means you can go always to the top of the list to find out where the actual problem is.

Thanks for the tips, theyre appreciated, 

I think I can chalk this one up to a lack of communication with another developer on the project...  We actually found a realy interesting issue involving a type def input on a subvi where any updating of it causes labview to crash when you attempt to save that subvi. if I get time I want to try to isolate it and maybe post it up here for a closer look under more experienced eyes...  due to being under pressure, we had to disconnect form the type def and basically update it manually which is a PITA but got the system running...

thanks again

-pat

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,362 Views)