LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array data in a PDA module

Hi,

I am writting a LabVIEW PDA application for reading some data from an instrument and populating some control (say a table control) on the front panel. The user selects one of the options from the list (the data in list can vary). However the Labview PDA module does not allow to view the data in an array(table). How do i get around this limitation. I am using LabVIEW PDA module for LabVIEW version 7.1

Any suggessions are welcome.

Thanks,
J.A.C
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,864 Views)

What do you mean by "the Labview PDA module does not allow to view the data in an array(table)"?

Versions 7.0 and 7.1 don't support array controls (8.0 does, although I haven't seen it yet), but why can't you convert your data to a string array and display it in a table?

(2,862 Views)

Hi tst,

This is what the PDA manual has to say

"Array and cluster controls and indicators do not appear on the front panel of PDA VIs. If you want the controls and indicators that are in an array or cluster  visible on the front panel, you must remove the elements from the array or cluster."

But if i remove the element from array how do i display it to user in form of list for selection ?(i would like to take action depending on his selction). I  cannot display array elements as individual string . Even if i were to do that, there will as many string controls on the Front panel as elements in array !. The number of elements in array keep changing dynamically.

Also i cannot use property nodes, so i do not have the option of transfering the array data to list or enum control !.

I am aware that LabVIEW PDA modules 8 does support property nodes, though i have not used it myself.

Thanks,
J.A.C

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,855 Views)

What I said was that you can use a table instead of an array (a table is just a 2D array of strings and you can wire an array into it). However, since you now say that you want the user to be able to select from the options, you will have to go with a ring or a listbox.

To do this, 7.1 includes "property VIs" (in the application control palette) which fulfill some of the functions that property nodes do (in this case, you can populate a ring). I'm not sure, but if listboxes are supported, you should probably also be able to populate a listbox. You can find some more "property VIs" on this site.

By the way, you can display array elements in strings. Since you only display N elements of the array at any given time, you can simply use a scrollbar and index the proper elements out into your controls (not that there is any need to do this).

(2,851 Views)
Thanks for pointing me to the Property VIs.

Though familiar with LabVIEW for quite sometime, it was'nt expecting a "Property VI" for PDA aplication Smiley Wink. I guess there is no support for multicolumn list box. But i may try using the simple list box. I hope to work my way through and get back in case i face some furthur issues.

BTW, I like the footer " Good Grief...".  LabVIEW PDA User desrves it ! Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,848 Views)
Well, "Good grief" is my quote for Charlie Brown. As for the PDA module, the most annoying thing about it for me is not the missing things, like arrays and so on, but the many bugs which are hard to track down. I understand 8 is supposed to be better in that respect (and in fact, the PDA module looks like the best reason to upgrade to 8).

(2,841 Views)