From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there disadvantages to using project libraries to organize common code used by different projects?

Solved!
Go to solution

My company is trying to determine the best way to organize and share our common code. We are using subVersion. We have multiple large programs that are deployed on different machines, some of which are running older versions of labview. I've read a lot of material on how to share code, but I'm still not sure if it makes sense to use project libraries to organize code which will be shared by multiple projects. Another option is building packages. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,351 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DOjala

Because you are using multiple versions of LabVIEW, go with the packages.

Project libraries are saved in a specific version of LabVIEW.  So if somebody saves it in 2014, you can't use it in 2013.

If you use packages, then you have a base library that is "installed" for a specific version of LabVIEW.  Each version you of LabVIEW can have its own installation of that package.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 2
(2,337 Views)