LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are There Performance Drawbacks Between Using Named Queues vs Wired Queues?

I made a simple error in my last post.  I left a Destroy Queue in place.  After removing it there was much better performance.  After testing all of the suggestions here are my findings. 

Wired Queues have the best performance and all other methods will be measured against using only wires to pass a single reference. 

Performance = 1x

Wired Queues 1x.png

Named Queue with (Obtain/ Enqueue/ Destroy) combo where needed

Peformance = 10x

Named Queues Example.png

Named Queue with Non-Rentrant FGV Sub-VI

Performance = 4.5x

Named Q nonrent subvi.png

Named Queue with Pre-Allocated FGV Sub-VI

Performance = 2.2x

Named Q nonrent subvi.png

Hybrid Named Queue with Pre-Allocated FGV Sub-VI Wired inside each loop.  Basically this method cleans up all the wires between various loops and has very little performance overhead.

Performance = 1.06x

Hybrid.png

All things considered, I will end up using the Hybrid method.  It allows for a clean block diagram and has very close performance to using native wires.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jacob K
Message 11 of 19
(1,438 Views)

How are you determining "performance"? Your first and last setup are pretty much identical, so if you are seeing a 20% "performance" difference I don't think your measure is accurate.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,432 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Personally, I take the Action Engine further.  I have 3 actions it can perform: Get Reference (does the Obtain if reference is invalid), Send, Close (destroys the queue).  If you want to go full out, you have a wrapper VI for the Send action and have the actual AE private to the module that reads the queue.  This does require a library for each module.  But the module that reads from the queue maintains it (obtain at start, release when done, sit there and read in the middle).  And for somebody to send a message, they just call that wrapper VI mentioned earlier.  No opening and closing of references.  No names needed.

The first time I did this I made a 4th case as well - Dequeue Element. It didn't take long to find that everything locks up when one VI has already called Dequeue and no one can send any messages because it is non re-entrant 😄

Message 13 of 19
(1,430 Views)

This post has nothing to do about queue performance but may give you something to think about for your next project.

I used to use multiple queues like yourself, but got tired of multiple wires and worrying about destroying references, etc. I switched from queues to user events and have not looked back. User Events allow me to have 1 wire/reference reach any loop, subVI, etc, in my program. I use a combination of the JKI State Machine and an architecture similar to 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Program-Drafts/Message-Bus-Architecture-An-Intro/ta-p/3512280

For more information regarding User Events see

https://github.com/JackDunaway/LabVIEW-User-Events-Tips-Tricks-and-Sundry

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,428 Views)

@gregoryj  ... I made a wrong calculation. My actual performance difference is 1.06x.  I have updated my post to reflect this.  The measurements were made with very simple vis in order to get a relative idea of performance.  In this case I only ran the VI for 1.17 seconds.  If this were in a real application running for a long time the performance difference would approach zero.

Jacob K
Message 15 of 19
(1,424 Views)

Is the Msg Ref VI similar to what Kyle97330 posted, or is it different?  If so, would you mind posting it saved for LV14?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,391 Views)

I read that the named queues are a security risk and/or an possible accident waiting to happen if you have a typo.

Getting and releasing requires time.

Another approach would use a re-entrant VI that caches the queue ref on first call and subsequent calls to the re-entrant VI returns the cached  queue ref. On first call the queue, is obtained from an Action Engine.

Another idea is to use the Variant attribute feature and store the queue refs as attributes of a variant in an AE.

I have written apps with hundreds of queues and the wired form has worked well for me.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,387 Views)

@Jacob_K wrote:

All things considered, I will end up using the Hybrid method.  It allows for a clean block diagram and has very close performance to using native wires.

You didn't try my method, where the sender does not even see the reference wire.  So if you want a clean diagram, my method replaces the Enqueue with the bonus that the get reference is not needed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,377 Views)

crossrulz method is best imho. It allows the use of named Queues anywhere, without obtaining the queue each time the VI is called. That way the named queue is obtained only in the init method, or if reference is invalid. The rest of the time the wire reference is used, maintaining best performance. I use similar methods personally.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,135 Views)