LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Arch] Which code style is more robust and why?

@Intaris wrote:

At the beginning of each iteration, I first check if the private Queue has elements in it and I finish them before taking the next item off the public.  Both queues are of identical datatype. 

It's long been my opinion that any "QSM" (really, a QMH) should be of this kind of design, where any "from outside" action is completed before starting handling of the next.  The JKI State Machine does satisfy this, but many other designs don't, including the templates put out by NI.  I recently gave a talk on this very subject at a CLD Summit in Newbury, UK.

Message 11 of 20
(1,901 Views)

Actually, i'm not a fan of medium-large state machines (even the Hierarchical ones, where exists the relationship between SuperState and several substates, creating a kind of inheritance) because, i believe (at least) the code reuse is more related to share functionality (SubVI's)  instead of share semantics (State reuse).

Anyway, lot of insighful answers. Kudos to everyone 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,859 Views)

@xChiron wrote:

Actually, i'm not a fan of medium-large state machines

Just a note for anyone reading; the structure such as in the OP, which are often called "Queued State Machines", are actually not "State Machines" at all.  They are Queued Message/Event Handlers.  They queue up actions, not state (you can't queue up state).

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,828 Views)

Just my two cents...

One of my favorite architectures is using a state machine with a queue interrupt.  Each loop iteration it checks the queue looking if something needs to be dequeued.  If it does, the queue state supersedes the current state - if not the state machine continues as normal.

queue interrupt.png

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,799 Views)

Any reason not to just use a Dequeue element with a zero timeout value?  If the Dequeue time out, then you know the queue was empty.

Message 15 of 20
(1,785 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Any reason not to just use a Dequeue element with a zero timeout value?  If the Dequeue time out, then you know the queue was empty.

I originally used it in a control loop where timing was critical, and have since just copied the code.  Dequeue is about an order of magnitude slower than obtain queue status.  Both are very fast and it likely didn't make a difference, but....

queue status.png

Message 16 of 20
(1,752 Views)

Very interesting.  I wouldn't have expected that.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,741 Views)

You need to wire the output of the queue status. It may be optimised away otherwise.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,735 Views)

I thought of that too.  So I added indicators on the Timeout terminal of the Dequeue, and the #pending remove terminal on the status.  Results were very similar both in actual value and ratio between the two examples.

If there is anything else missing in the benchmarking example, I can't find it.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,726 Views)

Yup, just got the same results here.  Go figure.  That's news for me and it's a big enough difference to definitely remember for the future. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,681 Views)