From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying function to graph, help please..!

Hey Guys, 

I am very new to LabView and do not even know how do I construct the question but I´ll explain it here.

I am using LabView 8.5 combined with UV-Vis spectrometer to take the readings of absorption against time of a reaction mixture. The reaction continues for 48 hours. What I want to do is, 'at the completion of the reaction, the absorbance graph will become constant. As the absorbance becomes constant, I want the program to swtich on a pump which will push a reagent into the reaction pot containg the reaction mixture and then continue taking reading of absorbance´.. Is it clear ? Is there a way to do so ? I mean how to tell the LabView that as the absorbance becomes constant, switch on the pump while continuing measuring absorbance?

I shall highly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,648 Views)
Yes there is a way to accomplish your goal. But you will need to know about talking to instrumentation, vision or at least data acquisition, and probably a bit about machine control.

But the biggest thing you need to learn is LabVIEW. The good news is that there are many free tutorials available online. That is where you should start.

After that, start taking bite-size pieces of your problem, like how to read just the instrument. As you have questions post back what is troubling you and we will do what we can to help.

Mike...

PS: v8.5 is very old. Any chance you can get an upgrade?

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,632 Views)

What you need to do is to define how much variation in absorbance readings over some period of time is considered "constant." There will always be some noise and possibly drift in the measurements, so you cannot reasonably expect to have, say, ten consecutive identical readings.

One way to do this is to take the last group of readings (where you decide how many are in the group), do a linear regression on the readings, and define "constant" as the absolute value of the slope less than some threshold. This tends to take the noise out and may be fairly sensitive to small changes in the slope.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,622 Views)