From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder

I have created a vi to control an Instek PSH3630 programmable power supply, so that I can power cycle our products as part of the burn-in process.

I am using a National Instruments GPIB-USB-B adapter to connect between the computer and the power supply.

I found an instrument driver on the Instek web site, and proceeded to create a vi that does what I want it to when ran in the LabView environment as a vi. I then used application builder to build a stand alone executable including the installer in the build.

When I run the executable on a computer with LabView loaded, but not running, the executable runs and controls the power supply as it is supposed to. However, if I load it onto a computer that does not have LabView, and use the installer to install the LV run time engine the program does not communicate with the power supply. I have checked communications between the computer and the power supply with NIMax and the two are communicating as I can query the instrument and it returns its information, and NISpy shows the communication.

When activated the executable starts up and the front panel indicates that the program is running, but there is no communication with the power supply. I have utilized 3 frames to accomplish having three separate profiles for burn in, when the program finishes the first frame and starts the second frame, the first frame shows an error in the error out box, and the same thing when it goes from the second frame to the third, and when it finishes the third frame..

The error is as follows - Code -1073807202, "Old Visa Open in GWP5320X initialize.vi -> Instek Power Supply Cycling 06.21.05 B.vi".

I have read about others having problems with the Old Visa Open, but don't understand why it works as a .vi and as an .exe with LV on the computer, but not with only the LV run time engine.

Am I missing something in the build process?

Being new to LV, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Osterman
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,772 Views)
Paul,

What version of LabVIEW are you using? What version of NI-VISA are you using on each machine?

I did come across this KB article...

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/8F7029E67813CFA486256C680006714A?OpenDocument

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,768 Views)
Tim, thanks for the reply.

I'm using LabView 7.1 on both computers and NI-VISA "Version of Implementation 3.2", "Version of Specification 3.0" on the computer with LabView loaded on it. The other computer just has NI-488.2 for GPIB to USB-B communications, Measurement & Automation and whatever files are included during the LV run time engine install.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,748 Views)
You need VISA on the other pc. Any VI that uses VISA (as your's obviously does from the errror message) requires at least the VISA run-time.
Message 4 of 5
(2,743 Views)
Thanks Dennis, that took care of my problem, I loaded the NI-VISA drivers on the other computer and the program runs perfect.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,720 Views)