LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder -other folders

Couple questions regarding a Labview Installation disk and an exe.  I have LV 2014.  I created a test program on my development machine.  It runs fine and I am able to create an exe (1st) and an Installation disk ( 2nd) using Application Builder.

1) Is there a way to have either the exe or the installer create and put a ( dekstop) short cut to the exe on the target machine??  How?

2) is there a way for the exe or the installer to automatically create directories on the target machine??  On my develope machine I have a sub directory (ie: C:\testset\logfiles) that saves a log file and I want that on my target machine.  I don't want the user to have to create it manually.  Do I have to create a script and tell the installer to run it after it installed my program??

3) If I have 3rd party drivers is there a way to get the installer to run those automatically on the target??  if I'm using Project do I even need to install them seperately ( on target) or does Project package them because the vis in the project are using them??

I'm trying to automate the installation on a target machine as much as I can..

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,296 Views)

1) Yes. It's called "Shortcuts".

2) Yes. Create custom "Destinations" and configure the project items to place in the appropriate destination in "Source Files".

3) No. NI LabVIEW Application Builder enables you to include NI Installers into the installation package. There is no way via LV to include any 3rd party installers in the package. Two possible ways:

a) Use tools from Microsoft (or other ones which can modify MSI packages) to manually add 3rd party installers into the package. You have to use "merge modules" for this.

b) Write a batch file which should be run by the user. You call the NI Installer package and after that you call into 3rd party installers as required. I recommend this as it is way more simple compared to a).

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,266 Views)

thanks...let me give it a try and then I'll mark it as a solution..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,258 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

3) No. NI LabVIEW Application Builder enables you to include NI Installers into the installation package. There is no way via LV to include any 3rd party installers in the package. Two possible ways:

b) Write a batch file which should be run by the user. You call the NI Installer package and after that you call into 3rd party installers as required. I recommend this as it is way more simple compared to a).

Maybe it's just that your description wasn't clear but you can include any files in your installer build specification which will get distributed with your application - that can include 3rd party driver installers etc. You can also get the LabVIEW installer to run an executable or batch file you've create after the installation completes which runs each of those installers (and you can pass parameters like the install path into the batch file) - so the user doesn't need to do anything!

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,238 Views)

I've never gone that way, but it should be possible.

However, afaik you can call only a single exe or bat file after installation which means that when you require more than a single 3rd party installer, you still have to write the batch file (as you pointed out).

However, to be able to use Application Builder to add those installers, these installers have to be part of the lvproj. I only recommend this for lvproj you create with the sole purpose of building the installer.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,232 Views)

I'm not that savy w batch files nor where or how I put the 3rd party drivers in the installer THEN get them to run when I run the installer on the target.  Thanks for the options but I think I'll stick w the simplest route.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,225 Views)
What exactly are these third-party drivers? Are you talking about Windows drivers, IVI drivers, LabVIEW instrument drivers?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,208 Views)

@Clint1000 wrote:

how I put the 3rd party drivers in the installer

Add them to your LabVIEW project, and then in the 'source files' page of the build specification, set them to 'always include'. You can then go to the destinations page and configure where they should be located during the installation process.

@Clint1000 wrote:

I'm not that savy w batch files nor where ... THEN get them to run when I run the installer on the target. 

There's a guide here that looks pretty good and seems to cover everything you might need.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,201 Views)

I have:

Seiko Printer Driver DPU-2xxx

Pickering Amp  41-650

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,200 Views)

thanks..I'll give that a shot as well..