LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder 8.2 Problem - Building EXE

Hello All;

I just did a clean install (i.e. uninstalled LabVIEW 8.0.1) of LabVIEW 8.2 Professional w/ Mathscript, and I am having issues with the Application Builder.  Several, actually.

(1) When I right-click on Build Specifications and select New --> Application (EXE), I can enter my information and everything seems to go fine.  When I am finished, and click OK, the App Builder hangs and will not allow me to continue.

(2) I cannot change any of the source file settings, as it appears to not be reading any of the indivual VI settings.

(3) Clicking Generate Preview causes LabVIEW to hang.

(4) Turns out I can load an existing lvproj file and change settings.  However, these settings do not seem to have any effect.  For example, if I opt not to display the toolbar, in my EXE, I have a toolbar.

I have installed LabVIEW 8.2 on two machines, and both machines exhibit the same behaviour.  One machine is WinXP and the other is Win2K.  The actual development portion of LabVIEW seems to work fine.  It's just the application builder I am having no end of problems with.  I know there are other bugs with LV8.2 App Builder... is this just another one?

At this point, I will have to reconvert my main development PC back to LV8.0.1 until this issue can be resolved.  I will keep LV8.2 on my lab PC to verify once the issue has been solved.

Any help would be appreciated.  I have used LV8.0.1 App Builder since it came out, with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks in advance,
DJH
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,372 Views)
Hi,

The problem with the VI settings is already reported and will be fixed in the next release.

I cannot reproduce the other problems. How did you uninstall the software? And was Labview installed at both computers?

Please contact your local office to solve the problems.

Best regards,

Bas van Dijke
AE, Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,312 Views)

Hello Bas;

Great!  Any "heads up" as to when the next release can be expected?  As mentioned, I have returned to v8.0.1 for the time being, but there are a couple of features in v8.2 that I would like to make use of!

For uninstalling the software, I typically do the following:

(1) Use License Manager to remove valid licences (so that I can move them to another PC);

(2) Use "Uninstall Programs" in "Control Panel" to remove ALL NI programs;

(3) After reboot, manually edit the registry to remove all NI references;

(4) After reboot, run a text search for "LabVIEW" or "National Instruments" on all files, to either edit/remove INI entries, or remove unnecessary files.

Yes, LabVIEW was installed at both computers.

DJH

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,275 Views)

Hi DJH,

No, I don't know anything about the new release.

Could you please call your local office to check if all NI-software is uninstalled. Creating an executable is something we are doing often. It never goes wrong. So I am wondering what's going wrong.

Thanks,

Bas van Dijke
AE, Netherlands
Phone: +31 348 433466

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,240 Views)
I can confirm point (1). Happens for me as well. It did work a few times though and just locked LV on the second build specification.

This is really a problem as we're just switching to LV 8.2. We need a working applications builder urgently!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,139 Views)

Hi cs42,

Did you include an icon in the project?

Regards,

Bas van Dijke
AE, Netherlands

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,114 Views)
Yes, I did. And just a few minutes ago I found, that leaving out the icon solves the problem for the time being...

Is this a problem with some icons or with all? BTW, on the very first test it did load successfully (and I could even run a build).

Thanks,
Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,110 Views)

Hi Carsten,

This is a bug in LV 8.2 and will probably be solved in the next version.

When you select the icon, you are used to double click. But this causes labview to hang when you build the executable. A workaround is clicking once and the OK button (in the icon category of the Application Properties).

Regards,

Bas

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,104 Views)
Hi!!

My application builder has uninstalled it self, and are gone in the project tree? The last item in the tree is dependencies.  It is impossible to build a standalone executable application.

My license is OK. Proff. with application builder and math script, but the software is hidden.

The local support office recommended to uninstalled and installed ALL NI software. But I have a deadline at work, and hopefully there is another solution????

Best regards,

A

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,989 Views)

Hi A,

For this question you have to start a new forumquestion, cause this question has nothing to do with the post you replied on.

Please check the settings in Project >> Filter View >> Build Specifications (see printscreen)

Regards,

Bas van Dijke
AE, Netherlands

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,981 Views)