From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Build problem Labview 8.5.1

Having a problem creating an Installer with 8.5.1. When being built a menu appears asking for

"NI Labview 8.2.1" distribution. Needs to copy a component installed or updated by the distribution to continue building the installer. 

Despite trying all of the Disks I have, First quarter DVD, and all of the second quarter CD's it does not recognise any of them. When the CD's or DVD is inserted it shows a nidist.id file which I select (because it says that's what it requires) but them it gives a message stating that

"You cannot choose this folder name; a file of that name exists"

I have tried this build on 2 different machines and get the same response, anyone got any ideas on this or is it a no brainer in 8.5.1?

One last thing if this lot cannot be got to work, the additional files required are:-

Ni Labview Runtime Engine 8.5.1

NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.5

NI PXI Config Support for Windows

NI DAQmx 8.7 (unsure if this is included in MAX?)

NI Visa Runtime 4.4

Does anyone know if I just downloaded these from NI website and installed on the computer that will run the final .EXE file it will work?

Labview Version 8.5
Labview Version 8.6
Labview Version 2014
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,851 Views)

Just tried to build the installer on a third machine (laptop) which has version 8.5.1 on it and also 8.6.

Again it asked for the distribution disks but for Device driver CD 1 August 2008. This meant it was asking for the DVD's for version 8.6 not 8.5.1

So inserted the required DVD twice before it would recognise it. It then loaded  afew files ok, it asked for another file, again lots of swapping of CD's until the whole thing gave up and locked the program.

Is it me or has anyone else found these problems. The laptop by the way has had a clean install on it only a few weeks ago for on-site working so I guess should be ok. 

Labview Version 8.5
Labview Version 8.6
Labview Version 2014
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,836 Views)

Hello Jack1,

I have been looking into your posts.  There are two immediate actions you could try to help.  I have identified that you are having issues with the computer recognizing that you have inserted the CD it has requested.  Also, you are having trouble with repeatedly being asked to change back and forth through disks, at every attempt to build the installer.  As you may need to try this more than once, it may be helpful to you to create a folder for each CD or DVD, and copy and paste the contents of the individiual disks.  This software will be recognized, even if copied on to your hard disk. 

When you click 'Build', to begin building your installer with your necessary additional resources, you will be asked to insert the last set of CDs or DVDs you have used.  However, at the prompt you can click on the 'Folder' icon and browse the folder where you have saved the individual disk contents.  The error you were receiving in your first post, "You cannot choose this folder name; a file of that name exists", implies that you were most like click on the *.id file and selecting ok.  I have avoided this on my machine by opening the folder with the disk contents, not selecting any files, and the click the 'Current Folder' button.  After you have selected it, ensure that you have ticked the box next to 'Cache components from this distribution.'  Whether you use the CD, or folders containing the disk contents, this options creates a local copy of the requested files to a cache directory, therefore no requiring the user to input disks, or point to file locations in the future.  If you have a repeated patter of building applications and installers, this will quicked your process, and eventually allow to delete the disk contents you have copied to your hard disk.

The disks from your previous installations are requested primarily because of your selection to include NI-DAQmx as an Additional Resource.  As this is the main driver, shared components are recognized by the Application Builder.  I, therefore, can recommend that you try building the installer with the above steps on your laptop, which your mentioned is a fresh installation.

When you have had a moment to try this, please post back to see if I can answer any further questions on this topic, or know that it has worked. 

Regards,

Message Edited by gt3000 on 11-03-2008 03:26 PM
George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,799 Views)

Hello George

Thanks for information and sorry for delay in this reply but just returned from working at customers for 2 weeks. I picked up your answer whilst away and found as you suggest that loading the 4 DVD's for version 8.6 to the hard drive was the easiest solution, this saved swapping disks and trying to locate the files that it kept asking for.

One other thing that I found out (and should have known better I guess) was that transferring a design from desktop to laptop and then building on laptop gave errors due to missing lnks to vi's. In the past I have saved the design for previous Labview version which then saves the main design vi and relevant sub vi's in a new folder. Opening this folder with the later Labview version then let me build all with no missing links etc. Presumably the option for 'source distribution' achieves the same result but without the need to save for previous version?

Thanks agian Jack

Labview Version 8.5
Labview Version 8.6
Labview Version 2014
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,729 Views)

One thing I would add for anyone loading files from the saved DVD's is that when you are prompted for a specific file is that the descriptions of what the file is can be a bit of a pain to locate as the referance to disk number does not seem to relate to DVD 1 or 2 etc. For example disk 1 of the devices drivers is requested where in effect these files are found on DVD 4 and so on. Also when you are finally at the location where you think the files are  click  'Current Folder' to load the file do not click 'Open' as you will get an error.

At the moment trying to find Disk 2, Distribution disk, device driver March 2008 on the saved DVD's and pulling my hair out!! its there somewhere, Smiley MadArggh,

Jack

Labview Version 8.5
Labview Version 8.6
Labview Version 2014
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,728 Views)