From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending Data to New Excel Worksheets

I am running an automated data collection routine that exports the generated waveforms to an Excel spreadsheet.  The program runs continuously for several days, in which time it takes around 25-30 waveform data sets before we stop it.  Currently it saves each new data set as a separate excel file.

My goal is to have the program save each successive data set into a new worksheet of one Excel document.  I've browsed through these forums a bit, and have seen several replies stating that this would require ActiveX control of Excel.  I have absolutely no knowledge of ActiveX, and there am not sure where to even begin implementing this control.  Is this something that I imbed in my Labview routine, or something that would be ran at the end of the program to collate it all into one document?

Any help would be muchly appreciated.  In case it would in any way help, I have attached my labview file.  Excuse the mess, I'm rather new at this 😉

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,235 Views)

There are a couple of ways to do this. First, what version of LabVIEW are you using and do you have the Report Generation Toolkit for MSOffice?

If you have the Report Gen toolkit then there is quite a few VIs written to do what you want for Excel. you just need to put them together int he order you need.

If you do not have the report toolkit then you are corrct you will need to use the ActiveX controls to get Excel to work the way you want. 

There is a couple Excel examples within LabVIEW that you can look at for a start with ActiveX. the example would be found on your PC here:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\examples\comm\ExcelExamples.llb (where the LabVIEW 8.0 Directory would be whichever version you use currently)

When I started on a couple of projects here at work, we had LabVIEW 6i Full Dev system without the report gen toolkit, I learned some ActiveX commands and things then. Now that I have been upgraded to the Pro-Dev Suite I have the report Gen Vis and have since switched to those as they seem to work better.

when you reply, if you don't have the report gen toolkit I can search through my older code and post a couple of ActiveX vis for Excel that I have done if you would like

Jeff

Jeff D.

Certified Architect LabVIEW Champion DQMH Framework

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,222 Views)