From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent Bitfile corruption in VI

I was writing a small Host VI to test certain FPGA problems we've been having in the last time.

Test was working fine, and I was refining things step by step.  Then I started getting errors "If using external clocks blah blah blah" and was getting errors writing controls in the FPGA code but reading the indicators was working fine.  I tried restarting LV, restarting the hardware and nothing was able to remedy the problem.

I finally switched Bitfile (in my "Open FPGA Reference" node) and suddenly the problems went away.  I changed BACK again and things worked fine.

This is a very worrying behaviour.  I have both VI and Bitfile on a shared network path and the source for the host VI is NOT set to seperate compiled code.  During testing, every 8-12 times I re-run the VI after making trivial changes the Bitfile fails to work as expected.

Seeing how we're trying to nail down errors which are occurring approximately 1% of system restarts, this is a VERY worrying sign.  Anybody got any experience with this?  I'm using LV 2012 SP1 on WinXP running in a Virtualbox VM which in turn runs on a Win7 64-bit machine.  My XP machine has the 3GB switch with USERVA set to 2900.

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,456 Views)

Clarification:

1) Saving the VI (Recompiling) seems to have an X% chance of corrupting the bitfile.

2) Loading the bitfile to the FPGA target repeatedly without recompiling (re-running the VI) seems to work fine over large numbers of iterations

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,455 Views)

Hi Intaris,

probably the failure occurs due running the application on a virtual machine. Problem is that the VM provides a virtual CPU that may cause timing problems.

Best Regards,

Lars

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,417 Views)

Is there any more informaiton on this topic.  Such side-effects of running in a virtual PC are unknown to me.

I don't see how the timing problem could occur in this way, but I'm eager to learn.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,408 Views)

Any more information on this?  Is this a real problem?  If so then I need to know that my VM is causing the problems.......

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,363 Views)

Hi Shane,

more information about the issue could be helpful.

What hardware do you use?

Are you able to post your example project?

Screenshots of failure messages could be helpful.

Regards,

Lars

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,347 Views)

As soon as I see the problem again I'll send a copy of the corrupted VI so that it can be analysed to see what's wrong.  I'll also send a copy of a non.corrupted VI as comparison.  How about that?

It doesn't happen VERY often, but as soon as it happens again I'll make sure to post.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,344 Views)