LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having problems with crashes after setting units (such as psi) on a gauge indicator?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using a Silver gauge indicator to display pressure. With no units set, everything seems to work fine. When I set the units to "psi" and immediately try to save LabView crashes and immediately crashes upon every subsequent attempt to open the VI or project file. I am using LabView 2012 (12.0f3) 64-bit on Windows 8. It is the first crash I have had. Unfortunately, it seems the file is corrupted and I lost a couple of hours of work. Now I am afraid to continue using this VI for fear it will crash from something else and corrupt the file and I will lose my progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have submitted the crash report to NI, but who knows how long it takes them to get around to looking into the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,019 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arcus111

Hi Arcus,

if you search the forum you will find a lot of "moans" about incomplete and buggy unit support in LabVIEW. My favorite is the square function (available since LV2009?) which will result "4 m" when you want the square of "2 m". Sure: meter^2 is still meter. And we are just talking about a very basic SI unit...

check.png

You will also find bug reports on silver controls.

Combine all those threads into your own conclusions!

I do not use silver controls and usually I stay away from using units nowadays...

Btw: I would also stay away from units like "psi". Just my continental Europe point of view 🙂

(Once I had to work with a (semiconductor processing) machine produced in US. It had 4 pressure gauges next to each other using 3 different units: psi, inHg, Torr. Surely there's a reason to do so, but did you ever needed to compare those pressures? Easy to remember those conversions...)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,018 Views)

Thanks for the information. I have been using LabView for a while and have kept the code unit agnostic in the block diagrams. I mainly wanted the units for display purposes on the front panel without having to create a separate text label.I didn't really care if the program itself used the units, though I have run into situations where the code expected units and I had to "adapt to source" etc to get rid of the compile error. Anyway, I like the look of the silver controls and I hope I don't run into too many bugs using them. I don't care if the program crashes, I just hate when it corrupts my VIs and I lose productivity. Until that crash, 2012 has been very stable for me. I just started using it, though. Most of our previous work was done using 2009 and 2010.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,998 Views)