LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggesstions on how to manage 100+ indicator and containers

The sub panel suggestion looks promising...

I notice in the LV Options dialog that the sub panel on the right is NOT recessed but the LV sub panel example has a recessed

sub panel.

How do I create a NON recessed sub panel?

Thanks

Tim C.

1:30 Seconds ARRRGHHH!!!! I want my popcorn NOW! Isn't there anything faster than a microwave!
Message 11 of 23
(14,074 Views)

This link has good info on the subject

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=160411&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

1:30 Seconds ARRRGHHH!!!! I want my popcorn NOW! Isn't there anything faster than a microwave!
Message 12 of 23
(14,073 Views)

Tim C. wrote:

How do I create a NON recessed sub panel?

You can color any 3D border transparent by right clicking it with the brush tool, hovering over the T color and then clicking the space bar a couple of times. This toggles between the FG color and BG color (as is mentioned at the bottom of the color dialog).

One more question on this:

It seems like a good program that is scalable include the following

1.  Producer Que Event Structure

2.  Front Panel control references bundled to allow easy delivery to cases and sub vi(s)

3.  Sub Panel

When using sub panels I was wondering about a scalable approach that would allow additional funtionallity with ease of integration throughout life cycle support.  Say for example I had a menu ring that was populated at startup via a csv file.

Is it possible to have the menu ring feed the path for the sub panel (s).  I was thinking as long as the sub vi are clearly seperate operations that this would be a good approach..

Thoughts / Feedback....

Thanks

Tim C.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 23
(14,051 Views)

Scalability is a big word with many meanings. There is no single answer to questions about scalibility.

Regarding your specific question, it's generally preferable to avoid using controls to hold extra data, because even though it's an easy solution, it often will create problems when you need more functionality. What you probably want to do instead is to load both the paths and display names into a common resource (e.g. a functional global) and then get the list from there.

One popular way of doing this (which I think NI used in the preferences dialog) is to place all the VIs in the same folder and then list the contents of that folder. This is often used when extending functionality and is generally refered to as using plug-ins. You can use the VI window title as a display name.

Another option is to list the VIs in a configuration file and there are quite a few other options as well.

I like the idea of the "Plug In" Scheme.   

When using sub panels how do you get data ino and out of the sub panel vi that is currently being ran?  All the examples show

the VI being loaded by reference so there are no connectors for data flow.

What am I not seeing?

Thanks

Tim C.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 23
(14,045 Views)
To run a VI in a subpanel you need to use the Run VI method, so you will need to transfer the using the Set Control Value method or (better, IMO) using some other means (LV2, queue, notifier, etc.).

Hi Tim,

I was saving this for a Nugget but at the current rate, it will not be written for another year.

Take a look at "Docking_Example.vi" for some ideas that will scale.

If I do end up writing the nugget try to act suprised when you see it.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 18 of 23
(13,996 Views)

@tst wrote:
P.S. For a good example of subpanel use, look at the LabVIEW options dialog. The listbox on the left loads a new VI whenever you change it and the actual code for each section is found in a separate VI.

@tst wrote:

One popular way of doing this (which I think NI used in the preferences dialog)...

Hi tst,
Even though this thread is very old, I just want to know where these 2 dialogs are available in the recent LV versions (2012/13). I could find the Options dialog from the Tools menu, but that does not provide the functionality which I've underlined in the 1st quote.
- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 23
(9,580 Views)

Hi parthabe,

the options dialog still uses a listbox to select a category and then loads a subVI into the subpanel covering the right side of the Options dialog window!

Right now I don't have LabVIEW 2013 available to make a screenshot…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 23
(9,572 Views)