LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog Output Timing Modes

Hi, this felt like a simple question but I wasn't able to find anything in the tutorials that wasn't more directed towards the analog input timing modes which are much more intuitive.

My question is how the different timing modes work in the output situation: 1 sample (On sample, HW Timed), N samples and Continuous sampling. Like I assume for 1 sample, the hardware will just hold at that value until the next time you output to it.

The multiple samples modes are a bit more of interest to me as I was wanting to understand how to output an AC signal. I've found VIs for getting a sinusoidal waveform, and I know that the DAQmx timing has an option to use the waveform. But how does that work if I feed this waveform to the DAQmx timing and DAQmx write. Does it just output one period of the sine wave and then stop at the end. Does continuous sampling make it so it continues sinusoidally indefinitely? Some clarification on these modes in the case of AO would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,065 Views)

bump

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,040 Views)

Hello GarbageCan,

When you use the "Use Waveform" Timing Option you will be using the dt of the Waveform you input to govern the Sample rate (Sample Rate = 1/dt roughly). The sampling mode can still be chosen as either Finite or Continuous but you will no longer be able to specify the Rate as you could in other Timing options. Analog output functions very similarly to Analog input in the sense that you have a buffer and a clock. In the output case, however, your clock is emptying a buffer instead of filling one up.

Regards,

-Travis E

National Instruments
Product Marketer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,010 Views)