LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I crazy!! - need advice

Hi everyone - Im a total newbie here and need some advice. I have an idea for a product I think may fly, I plan to prototype and test using labview and see if the results look promising, I will need a simple DAQ with analogue inputs and outputs to monitor the linear speed of a device using a potentiometer and then apply some simple math to try and calibrate it for different apps. Here is my question if I get the system working and build a nice GUI and executable is it crazy to put the daq into the device and distribute the labview exe and DAQ board as a product. I assume I could buy an oem board and fit it around my housing. Has anyone done this or am I nuts? - after spending all the cash on a version of labview and developing a nice software installer im not going to have the cash flow to hire a programmer and electrical engineer immediately to finish the job into a final product config. This obviously would be the final plan, but I need some systems out there to get me started.

As for the software is it possible to create databases and add sample id's, trend data over time etc and also create reports in the labview software,  i havent dug around but it seems everything is possible with this wonderful software.

Thanks for any guidance and help you can offer - any pointers on good books and tutorials to build a nice gui with record storing , sample trending and reporting would be great.

FYI im a mechanical engineer and this is not my bag yet!! , but I have confidence I can do this

Thanks again

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,746 Views)

You can do everything that you ask about here. I'm quite surprised you bought LabVIEW first though, without checking if you could do all that stuff! Specing things out is important, especially on the hardware side of things; so make sure what you purchase is capable of doing what you want.

All you want to do is doable but depending how flexible you need it, things can get more complex, as they would in any programming language. I'd definitely start out with some simpler projects before diving into the creation of your product. The last thing you want to do is create some crap software that you have to continually support on warranty and your great idea flops. Here are some tutorials that you may find beneficial. There are also LabVIEW classes you can take, and if you get in over your head and dig up some extra money, there are many alliance partners you can hire to help (shameless plug: see the link in my signature).

Message 2 of 4
(2,733 Views)

Yep nearly everything is possible With LV, but as for(imstuck) menchend the stuctur of your code is important do be supportable. 

Or you make an prototyp witch flys. Afterwards you skip all the code and make it professional;-)$

For "Easy" reporting check out Diadem (http://www.ni.com/diadem)

For buissnes advises reed this blog:

http://www.forentrepreneurs.com/business-models/why-startups-fail/ 

Good Look!

Petric

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,671 Views)

You should have technical support with us, so you should be able to use our new online training courses (Core 1, Core 2, and Core 3). These should help you use the programming environment:

http://sine.ni.com/tacs/app/fp/p/ap/ov/pg/1/sn/n5:selfpacedonline/

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,629 Views)