From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative VIs for In Port.vi and Out Port.vi for 64 bit Windows 7 platform

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Need to use the printer port for my application. In Port and Out Port VIs was the simplest option in 32 bit Windows XP machine. Now I hear In Port and Out Port VIs are not supported in 64 bit Windows ( VISTA/7) machine. Is there any working alternative to In/Out Port.vi ??

Thanks in Advance

RKB

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,736 Views)
Solution
Accepted by banyal

The issue you have isn't a LabVIEW issue, but a Windows issue. The increased security was started with Windows Vista, and MS locks down access to the ports directly. There may be a way to get to those ports, but it would involve low-level Windows API calls. Haven't a clue as to what they would be - you'd need to Google for this.

What are you using the printer port for? Are you trying to use it as a poor-man's digital I/O?  If so, you're far better off replacing the implementation with a low-cost USB-based digital I/O.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,728 Views)

I wanted to use the Printer port for a 2-wire communication  with a temperature sensor IC. So yes it is bascially for digital I/O. Any idea if one can use VISA read/write for this purpsoe?

RKB.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,713 Views)

VISA can easily be used to solve your problem. If using a USB -> Serial adapter it's almost too easy. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,703 Views)

I am aware of that. But I cannot at present afford to purchase the Serial/USB adaptor. LV driver too comes free with the hardware...

RKB

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,700 Views)

Hi !

Even am facing the same issue .Is it possible to read the  data through serial communication instead of using parallel port ?

My device is 64 bit Win 7 - LV 2013 SP1

Thanks

sandy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,867 Views)