From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative LabVIEW Test Executive/Sequence Tools Available

Hi everyone.  My company writes all of our test automation in LabVIEW.  We have typically used NI Test Stand for our Test Executive/Sequencer for small projects.  We are creating a new test platform and will need to deploy NI Test Stand on multiple computers in factories.  The cost of NI Test Stand deployment licences is out of reach for our budget for this new test platform.

Can anyone recommend a good free Test Executive that works well with LabVIEW?  I know back in the day LabVIEW offered a free Test Executive but that has now been superceded by Test Stand and does not work with the newer Windows operating systems.

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(9,697 Views)

TestStand Deployment licenses are about the same cost as one day's salary for a Certified LabVIEW developer.  (Give or take a bit depending on the contract)

How far out of reach is it really?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 15
(9,690 Views)

Fair enough - How much would one day salary be for a CLD?

Message 3 of 15
(9,684 Views)

PTP Sequencer

Omar
Message 4 of 15
(9,683 Views)

Omar,

Have you used PTP sequencer?  I've read up on it a bit but don't know anyone who has used it.

My concerning questions for using PTP sequencer would be:

1. Cost - It's free now to download and the licensing is free but will that ever change?

2. Support - Will PTP provide support if I have an issue using the tool or if there is a bug in their sequencer?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(9,678 Views)

1. Cost - It's free now to download and the licensing is free but will that ever change?

2. Support - Will PTP provide support if I have an issue using the tool or if there is a bug in their sequencer?

Thanks!

I down loaded their trial, but have not tested it out.

It's free to try, but there is a time limit on the free trial version. So it is not free.

Edit: I just checked to PTP web site and it seems the sequencer is now free.

I may give it a try.

We are users of TestStand (over 40 test stations running TestStand) and feel it is cost effective in the long run.

But sometimes TestStand it is a little over kill for some very simple test systems. We use an simple in house sequencer that has many limitations.

There once was an effort for an open source test sequencer on the web, but I could not find a link to it. 

Omar
Message 6 of 15
(9,668 Views)

@testeng1 wrote:

Generally, support for free software is limited to voluntary support through the community or the original developer if and when no other more pressing matters (and/or paying jobs) exist. Anything else is a sure way to go bankrupt. Smiley Very Happy

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 15
(9,616 Views)

@testeng1 wrote:

[...]

Thanks!

You've just hit on why your cost analysis regarding TestStand is flawed. 😄

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 8 of 15
(9,580 Views)

I have created a simple test executive written purely in LabVIEW for use with my Mac, as TestStand is not available on OS X. Please see details here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-37426

It is very basic, but if all you want to do is run a sequence of tests and store results then it should be adequate.

Message 9 of 15
(9,389 Views)

TestStand costs money, and software is free...or so I've heard.  PTP Sequencer is free and it is neat, but it is no TestStand replacement (sorry Thoric).  Don't try to use it and expect TestStand features.  It basically is a way to run VIs one after another.  It also has the ability to set variables which those subVIs can read.  Variables can only be set by setting up for loop around steps, which again are VIs to run.  

So you can say have a VI that is Init, then a VI that is Analog Test, and a VI for Clean Up.  Have these three in your sequence which is made using a XControls interface.  Then the user at run-time can place the Analog Test in a for loop, and run it N times, with different values for the analog to use each time.

No reporting, no pre-post step calls for VIs, no pass fail, no other ways of setting variables, no OI.  If you can live with these limitations then PTP will save you time and is free.  It is still being activly developed but I have no idea how many feature requests will be making it into future versions.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(9,360 Views)