LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allen Bradley Hardware Interface Question

I would like to know if a Data Highway Plus PC Interface card, 1784-PKTX with a PCI slot and communication rate of 230K bit/s can be interfaced with LabView? This card is an Allen Bradely produtct. I also need to know if there is a Data socket in LabView for this card and what drivers would be needed for this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,890 Views)
*bump*
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,856 Views)

I found this link

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=190&message.id=1243 in the Lookout forum.

It basically says that your pci interface card can't be used with Lookout because NI could not develop a driver without the API from Allen Bradley. They wouldn’t supply it.

Sorry, you could be out of luck  Smiley Sad

David

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,839 Views)

Might not be totally bad news. Found this info from AB website using RSLinx (PDF 1.4Mb) software which supports OPC and it compatible with your card.

David

Message Edited by David Crawford on 09-14-2006 03:57 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,834 Views)

BobChuck wrote:

I would like to know if a Data Highway Plus PC Interface card, 1784-PKTX with a PCI slot and communication rate of 230K bit/s can be interfaced with LabView? This card is an Allen Bradely produtct. I also need to know if there is a Data socket in LabView for this card and what drivers would be needed for this?

As David has pointed out, you could use AB's RSLinx OPC server ... or you can shop around for other OPC servers (e.g. Kepware  here , Matrikon probably has one, etc., etc.) that support the 1784-PKTX.

In the examples that ship with LV6.1, there's a demonstration of using Datasocket to read values from OPC servers (search the examples for "Datasocket" and choose the "Datasocket OPC" item).

A key question is:  How may tags/IO/data registers/items do you need to sample?

Each datasocket connection to the OPC server acts like a seperate client connection and it slows down as the number increases.  Mileage varies depending on the application, but numbers like 30, 50, or 100 tags have been mentioned as the upper limit.  (Randomly picked old thread).  

=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,820 Views)
... and there is an example of connecting LabVIEW to RSLinx OPC server here which dates from the time of LV6.
=====================================================
Fading out. " ... J. Arthur Rank on gong."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,814 Views)