LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All windows (fp, bd, proj, etc..) open at the new VI default window size and position in Windows 10

So I took the plunge and installed Windows 10 on my new laptop...  (that decision can be the topic of a different post, but now that I've already gone down this road I'm trying to make it work)

I have LabVIEW 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015 installed and the behavior is the same on all versions of LabVIEW.  Whenever I open a VI, Project or control it appears to open to the default window size and location (the same when a new VI is created).  If I make a change and then revert the VI, it will then recall the correct saved size and position.  I don't believe that this is a LabVIEW issue, but what could cause LabVIEW to behave this way?  All of my code is under SCC and has not been changed, just moved to the new laptop.  New VI's created exhibit the same behavior.  Here is a simple example for illustration:

Setp 1:  Create a new VI with a small front panel window and position a similar sized block diagram and save.

step 1.png

Step 2:  Close the VI and open from disk

step 2 fp.png

The block diagram is directly behind the front panel and not visable

step 2 bd.png

Step 3:  Make a minor change and then select "Revert" from the File menu

step 3.png

My Windows 10 display setup is as follows:

Laptop display (3840x2160) set to 200%.
2 external monitors (2560x1440) set to 100%

I have tried the laptop without the external monitors and get the same behavior.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Gangloff
DataAct Incorporated
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,228 Views)

I just found the problem, but now looking for an explanation?

If I "Run as administrator" the problem goes away!!!  I could not find any mention of anyone else with this problem so I must have done or configured something differently??  Any suggestions would be welcome but at least now I have a way around the problem.

Brian Gangloff
DataAct Incorporated
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,220 Views)

I am on a desktop running Windows 10 x64, with LabVIEW 2015 (SP1), the only version "officially" supported by Windows 10, currently running.  My single monitor is 1920 x 1080 -- at work, I've run a similar Windows 10/LabVIEW 2015 system on dual 1280 x 1024 (I think) monitors.

When I open a VI that has been saved with a relatively small Front Panel (for example, a sub-VI where the "Front Panel" is the Connector Pane controls and indicators, the biggest being Error In and Error Out) that maybe occupies at most 10% of the screen, and a modest-sized Block Diagram that might occupy 50% of the screen, the size that these are when I save them (and, I think, their placement on the screen) is the size that they are when I open them again.  In particular, if the Front Panel and Block Diagram were not overlapping when I saved, then when I open, only the Front Panel shows, and when I type Ctrl-E, the Block Diagram appears wherever it was when I saved.

I don't think I did anything "special" when I installed LabVIEW.  I'm also not sure what you mean by "Revert" -- I don't think I ever noticed "Revert" on the File Menu (aha, I just looked, and there it is, greyed out ...  I wonder what it does?).

Bob Schor 

P.S. -- on my Work machine, my Account has Admin rights, but on this machine, I'm a "Standard User" ...  Oops, when I set it up, I set it up that way, but after the first two weeks of installing and having to switch accounts, I gave in and added myself as Admin, so maybe the above is simply confirming your findings ...).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,216 Views)

Did you install LabVIEW in the default directory and does your user account have permissions set for that folder?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,204 Views)

Running as administrator has its own set of problems and is not a permanent solution.  I'm still struggling with this problem and looking for some insight from the community.

I have tried:

1. Repairing the LabVIEW 2015 installation
  2. Uninstalling and reinstalling LabVIEW 2015

When LabVIEW is first launched, the splash screen is centered and appears to be the correct size, however as soon as the Getting Started window appears it shifts up and to the left (so it is in the upper left corner) and the size is the same as all other windows (the default new VI size and position).  From this behaviour it would appear that LabVIEW is adjusting the windows size and position based on the display size input from the OS.  I've had other applications open windows greatly reduced, as if the display was much smaller than it actually is.  This happens after the displays go to sleep and then are woken and could be an artifact of Windows 10 and/or my docking station.  However, the window resize is not a permanent problem and files such as spreadsheets and documents open correctly the next time.  Is there some LabVIEW common flag for unsupported display?  I have searched the registry but can not find anything.

All LabIVEW installations used default locations and settings.

Brian Gangloff
DataAct Incorporated
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,010 Views)

I guuess it's not helpful to say "don't ever futz with your dev machine unless you have a full backup to fall back to."  😞

Does it at least make you feel better to hear me say that I don't always follow my own advice - and pay for it every time?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,985 Views)