LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane Instruments "Six Pack"

@sayak wrote:

This is a very nice example. But this kind of animated display in LabVIEW uses a lot of CPU power and increases the load on the PC as the application becomes bigger. Is there a way to reduce this load? As I can see Windows and also some other software can do a lot of these animations with ease.

Have the indicators be consumers in a producer/consumer design.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 11 of 22
(3,345 Views)

@sayak wrote:

Is there a way to reduce this load? As I can see Windows and also some other software can do a lot of these animations with ease.

The most general answer is that the tools LV uses for display are not good on performance. The picture control, used in this example, has to construct the whole image from a combination of raster and vector commands, and while it probably has been updated since it was introduced quite a few years ago, I expect those updates are relatively minor compared to everything else.

Add to that the limited use of hardware acceleration and you get an even greater gap.

You might get better performance if you use something like a .NET control, but I don't know if the better performance will overwhelm the overhead of working with .NET. My guess would be yes, but that's just a guess.

thanks for the nice explanation 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(3,293 Views)

Hello all,

yes, the performance and CPU load is a real problem with my instruments in LV. I also implemented just the demo in some C# and WPF. Much better, faster and CPU load of like nothing. Attached you will see a picture from the C# demo. As you can see, it also renders the picture content automatically which is nice if the needles moves. No pixel soup anymore. But nevertheless I started to do my project using LV and had a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Carsten

Message 14 of 22
(3,281 Views)

@RC-Freak wrote:

Hello all,

yes, the performance and CPU load is a real problem with my instruments in LV. I also implemented just the demo in some C# and WPF. Much better, faster and CPU load of like nothing. Attached you will see a picture from the C# demo. As you can see, it also renders the picture content automatically which is nice if the needles moves. No pixel soup anymore. But nevertheless I started to do my project using LV and had a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Carsten

I'm guessing that maybe LabIEW doesn't use accelerated graphics so the work falls upon the CPU to render things?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(3,242 Views)

Hi Folks,

... almost a year is gone, 3512 views but no additional feedback. Did somebody try it out or is using some of the gauges in other applications?

Cheers,

Carsten

Message 16 of 22
(2,616 Views)

Hi Carsten

I have tried your labview application guages in one of my labview project. I appreciate that It was designed awesome by you however, I have some persisting issue of virtual memory overflow in about half hour, when guages running continuously. I also tried to increase system virtual memory even than the issue persist. Can you suggest some more optimization in guages vi independently.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(2,438 Views)

@swaqarjamil wrote:

Hi Carsten

I have tried your labview application guages in one of my labview project. I appreciate that It was designed awesome by you however, I have some persisting issue of virtual memory overflow in about half hour, when guages running continuously. I also tried to increase system virtual memory even than the issue persist. Can you suggest some more optimization in guages vi independently.

Why would you think that using a bigger bucket under a leak in the roof will keep your living room dry when the appropriate response is to fix the roof?

Anyway, are you running the example by itself, or do you have it embedded in something you made?  I don't see anything inherently wrong with the code, but I didn't look really closely at the MultiWii stuff, though.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(2,412 Views)

Hi Bill,

You are guessing right. But I have no clue about why it happen. I am using Multiiwii guages seperately in my application. Just applying data over SubVis and observe it in front panel. Its a multi Tab application. so only data displaying in typedef cluster have no issue. But whenever guages Tab become active it shows virtual memory overflow issue indeterminately. I used two guaged initially ie Roll/pitch, compass

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(2,382 Views)

This is fantastic and thank you for sharing. May I ask how you would change the scales in the indicator though? I would love to use this in my underwater camera to show altitude off the sea floor, but the range of the instrument is 20 metres max so hardly moves on the scale of 1000's of metres for an aircraft.

Karl

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,581 Views)