LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent E5810A Com Port and NI MAX

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with connecting to the COM port on my Agilent E5810 ever since i upgraded to Windows 7 and also upgraded my version of NI MAX and NI VISA.

On my old Windows XP machine i could access the com port through NI MAX by entering the IP address and Lan Device Name (Com1,488)

However when i do this in the newer version of NI MAX and VISA I get an insufficient location error.

When I use NI I/O trace it seems that last value is always 0 on the new system but the old system has what seems to be an address

The gpib connection works fine with both the old and new systems.

I still have the setup on my old laptop so i took two images showing the old and new systems for comparison.

I also am aware of the issues with TCPIP on recent releases on NI VISA but my release is newer than 5.4.1 so I assume this issue should be fixed.

I have also enabled Tulip in NI VISA

I have tested this using NI VISA 14.1 and NI VISA Runtime 14.1 but i get the same issue.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thansk,

Pamac

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,445 Views)
You are trying to connect to a com port on a remote pc?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,422 Views)

Sorry Dennis could have explained it a little better.

I'm using an Agilent LAN to GPIB gateway (Agilent E5810, (same issue on A or B models)), it also has a com port which I use in some of my programs. 

See attached for the list of equipment connected to the gateway (equipment_connected_to_gateway.png)

When connecting a GPIB i have no issues as shown in the attached image (connecting_gpib_equipment.png)

Since the upgrading LabVIEW i get the issue shown in the attached image when trying to connect to the COM port (connecting_com_port_equipment.png)

Hope this makes more sense.

Thanks,

Pamac

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,396 Views)
Thanks. I did not pick up your mention of a 5810 in your first post or understand what it was. I have no experience with that and readily have no suggestions, sorry.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,378 Views)

No problem Dennis.

Anyone any input on this?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,362 Views)

Seems to me like this could be an issue with the newer version of NI VISA or NI MAX.

Hass anyone else seen this type of issue?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,313 Views)

Hi,

same issue here. Does anybody have a solution?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,432 Views)