From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent E5810

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

Does anybody know how to install an Agilent E5810 on MAX? 

It works fine using Agilents IO Suite on Windows but it needs to be installed on a linux machine which Agilent do not cover.  I can't find the appropriate option.  The E5810 is a network device that allows a user to remotely control via IP a GPIB device.

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(8,406 Views)

Hi Sean,

Just to clarify, when you say "install Agilent E5810 on MAX" do you mean the Madrid Linux distribution (not Measurement and Automation Explorer)?

If so, that particular OS is based on either Knoppix or Ubuntu which I do not think is supported by National Instruments. Have you run any National Instruments software, or interfaced National Instruments hardware with the machine running Linux?

Kind Regards,

James O'Neill - Applications Engineer - National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(8,334 Views)

This used to work on Windows (in NI-VISA 3.6) by adding the E5810A manually as a LAN instrument in NI-MAX using the following format:

TCPIP0::<ip address or hostname>::gpib<interface number>,<instrument GPIB address>::INSTR

For example:

TCPIP0::156.140.113.117::gpib0,22::INSTR

would talk to the E5810A gateway at IP address 156.140.113.117, the gateway is set to gpib0 (the default for the E5810A), and the instrument is at GPIB address 22. So, in NI-MAX you would add the LAN instrument at the IP address, and give it the instrument name of gpib0,22

This addressing no longer seems to work on NI-VISA 5.2 on Windows (it still works on Agilent IO Libraries Suite 16.3). This seems to be a bug in NI-VISA 5.2 for Windows.

I'm installing Scientific Linux 5.x to see if this format still works in the NI-VISA for Linux...

Alan Copeland

Agilent Connectivity Support

Message 3 of 29
(8,282 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SeanJ

As followup to my previous post, I installed Scientific Linux 5.x inside a Virtual Box VM. I couldn't get visaconf to work (Error 13), but I was successful in using NIvisaic to talk to the instrument connected to the E5810A (using teh settings I mentioned in the previous post).

NIvisaic.png - settingsNIvisaic-idn_result.png - *IDN? result

Message 4 of 29
(8,273 Views)

I am using NI-MAX v5.3.3 which doesn't allow me to use LAN Device name "gpib0,5" as it requires, instead, it only allows me to use "gpib0". Then it doesn't communicate to Agilent 6812B with GPIB address 5 via Agilent E5810. Agree with agio that it seems a bug on NI-MAX. Don't know why it hasn't been fixed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(7,763 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(7,760 Views)

Hi All,

The way to address these instruments through NI VISA has changed when VISA upgraded to version 5.2.

This KB explains how to communicate with your instruments through your LAN/GPIB gateway:

Using NI-VISA 5.2 or greater with the Agilent E5810A LAN/GPIB Gateway

Please let me know if this works for you,

James O'Neill

Applications Engineer - National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(7,603 Views)

Your link won't open James, can you check it?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(7,597 Views)

Appologies, my mistake, this one should work:

Using NI-VISA 5.2 or greater with the Agilent E5810A LAN/GPIB Gateway

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(7,593 Views)

I followed that article already to select"NI-VISA Passport for Tulip" and set "NI-VISA" as primary. But NI-MAX still does the same thing: don't take "gpib0,5". Please see the attached 3 screen shots.The first one captured from Agilent Connection Expert shows the correct VISA address and was recognized by Agilent Connection Expert.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(7,550 Views)