LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 8753ES with LabView 2013 Visa error using GPIB.

When trying to communicate with the 8753ES and pull the real and imaginary parts of S21 and S22 I get a VISA error on the real parts of the signals. The imaginary parts work OK and I can see the data but the Real parts both get the following error;

VISA Read in
HP8753 Read
Format.vi -
> HP8753
Collect and
Display Data.vi-
> Read S22 Re
and Im.vi -
Automated
Permeability
Measurement
with S22.v

I am using Windows 7 (64 bit), LabView 2013, and a program wirtten by someone else who is no longer available. I downloaded the LabView driver for the 8753ES from both NI and from another place and both versions seem to do the same thing so I am getting the feeling it is a configuration issue and not a programming one.

Sorry but I am fairly new to LabView programming.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,914 Views)

Greetings MarkBurleson

Can you confirm that this error message appears with the Agilent 87xx Series Read and Graph Data.vi example that comes with the driver? (If you installed it in the default directory, it should be accessible in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2013\instr.lib\Agilent 87XX Series) Read the description of the example in the Context Help to see how to set up the example properly.

Let us know if the example also exhibits that error and if it doesn’t, try to troubleshoot the program that you are using based on that example. Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day.

Warm Regards, 

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,882 Views)

I finally got the driver from NI.com to work today and it has no errors on any of the data it pulls from the analyzer.

The other instrument driver I am using (hp8753x) seems to be very inconsistent. If I run the program in single step mode it works and does not fail. If I run the program several times it can fail in read or write areas of Visa. Sorry I am not real good at programming in LabView yet. I was a long time ago but have not done any programming in several years.

Is there a setting in the configuration that controls the timeout? Maybe a vi I can run at the beginning?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,849 Views)

Greetings MarkBurleson

Could you confirm exactly which device you are using? According to the Read me file of that driver, the hp8753x is meant for the 8753B/C/D. There is additional functionality offered by the ES/ET models that is not implemented by the instrument driver. The 8719B/C/D, 8720B/C/D, and 8722B/C/D may only support a subset of functionality implemented in the instrument driver.

Also, is the problematic behavior present with the examples that come with the driver too? Did you set the Trigger properly? It is stated in the Context Help that this API hangs if data is read while measurements are being taken. Is it possible that when you run the program several times, this situation is presenting itself and that is why the errors occur? Let us know.

Warm Regards, 

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,817 Views)

the Property tool on the GPIB address to set the GPIB instrument timeout. This is a typical issue with data trace readout as they may take more than the 10 second typical default timeout.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,811 Views)