LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 82357B Not Visible in LabVIEW VISA Control

Hi Guys,

I know there's a lot of threads on this but I think I've gone through all of them at this stage and still no luck. I am using the Agilent 82357B to communicate with a HP 53181A Frequency Counter. The device will not show up as a VISA control option in LabVIEW but when I select "Launch LabVIEW IDFinder" from NI MAX, it is able to pick up the device as connected so LabVIEW can see it. It is visible and I'm able to communicate with it in both NI MAX, The VISA Test Panel and Keysight Connection Expert. The only devices showing up as VISA controls in LabVIEW are the COM and LPT device.

What I've tried:

- I have the latest versions of NI VISA and NI VISA Runtime.

- I have the latest versions of NI MAX and LabVIEW 2015 SP1 64 bit.

- I have enabled the Tulip passport in NI Max. I'm using 64 bit LV so not sure if this is relevant?

- I have enabled the Keysight GPIB Cards for 488 Programs tick box in Connection Expert.

- I have no other GPIB connected so this device is GPIB0.

- Under Conflict Manager in MAX, the GPIB device is not listed but the other devices are. On my first installation of everything, I saw the GPIB device listed here with Agilent VISA as the chosen VISA. I changed it to NI VISA and saved the changes but that didn't work either.

- The GPIB VISA resource name is GPIB0::23::INSTR. It is also set to 23 on the HP unit itself.

- I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything except Windows and tried it all again and still no luck.

I've attached some screenshots of what I'm seeing in the various programs. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,055 Views)

Can you please post the code you are trying to run? (In LV 2012 so I can look at it)

My experience has been that if you can see it in MAX, you are 90% of the way to talking to it in LabVIEW.

Message 2 of 9
(5,049 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Here is the VI saved as an LV 2012 file. It is just a default example to measure freequency. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,045 Views)

And the problem you see is that your instrument does not appear in the dropdown menu? If you type in the resource manually (GPIB0::23::Instr) does the instrument respond? I looked in the VISA Reference control and it doesn't look like it is filtering the names at all...

Message 4 of 9
(5,037 Views)

Yeah it doesn't appear in the dropdown meanu but the other things I have connected do. I tried putting the VISA address in manually and starting the VI and it is fine until it gets to the second Read Measurement.vi. I get a VISA Read error from this with the code -1073807339. From my previous experiences, if the instrument doesn'e appear in the dropdown, then it won't be picked up in LabVIEW but it was weird that I didn't get any error from the Initialise, Config Channel or the first Measurement VI's. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,034 Views)

So you actually get a measurement the first time you call a "Read Measurement" VI?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,032 Views)

Got it working!! I'm not sure why the first read measurement VI is there but I wasn't getting a value out of it. What I did to fix it was to change the input to the measuring mode to 3 and then back to 1 and it is now giving me measurements as I'd expect them. And manually putting the VISA name into the control worked so thank you very much for that. Something so simple and I've been trying to get it for over a day now. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,027 Views)

Excellent! It is still odd that it doesn't automatically show up in the list of VISA resource names. I wonder if you create a new "VISA Resource Name" control (from the palette or quick drop, not by copying the old one) if it would show up...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,021 Views)

Tried doing that previously too and it wouldn't show up either. It's very odd.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,010 Views)