From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 488.2 with Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an Agilent 82357B USB GPIB and have been supplied code that uses GPIB read and write functions. I have NI-MAX and Agilent Connection Expert setup correctly. The program does not error but the write and read functions timeout and do not work. I troubleshoot wrote simple code using hte VISA functions and they work. I wrote the same code using the GPIB functions and it does not work and after I run it the code written in VISA no onger works. I know that Agilent replaces the gpib-32.dll with their version that redirects to their code.

My question is, is there anyway to make the LabVIEW GPIB calls work with an Agilent GPIB device and of course GPIB library? I believe the answer is no but I have seen a post where someone said they are doing it. I just want a definite answer before I deliver the bad news.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,722 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author terrill

While there have been some vendors that implemented their GPIB drivers with the same function calls that NI uses (ibwrt, ibrd, etc). I don't believe Agilent has ever done this and I've used Agilent cards since the time they were still Hewlett-Packard. I'd love to see the post where someone said they could use the LabVIEW GPIB functions with an Agilent controller.

So, the answer is no to the best of my knowledge. What you need to do is use VISA. Enable tulip support in NI-MAX and it should work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,712 Views)

Here is the post. It is old and he uses the same steps that are needed for VISA.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Agilent-82357a/m-p/277987/highlight/true#M147207

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,697 Views)