LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 4448a

Hi everyone,

I am trying to control Agilent 4448a using the latest version of VI. I just run the Initialize.vi; however the error message keeps popping

Instrument reports:
+227,"Instrument mode request not supported"
+0,"No error"

Then I run the code step by step, what I found was that the error message came from running the Error Query.vi. So I went to the subfolder of Public/Utility and found the Error Query, and then run it individually. Suprisingly, there was not any error at all. Do you really think this is the problem with the setup of the instrument mode?

I ve seen some discussions saying the correct mode of the instrument needs to be chosen, but how to do so? where to make a change of the instrument mode?>

Many Thanks!

Chong

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,566 Views)

@Allenlee27 wrote:

I ve seen some discussions saying the correct mode of the instrument needs to be chosen, but how to do so? where to make a change of the instrument mode?>

Maybe you should consider reading the programmer's manual for the instrument.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,565 Views)

I can sucessfully mangage to run many other VIs such as Self-Test, Revision Query, Reset that have Error Query as subVI, but not Initialize.vi? Any suggestions? Thanks

Chong

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,561 Views)

Look at the commands that are being issued in the initialize function and determine which one is causing the error. There can only be a couple in there.  You can just look at the code or capture them with NI-Spy/NI-Trace. Run them one by one until the instrument creates the error.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,548 Views)

Allenlee27 wrote:

I am trying to control Agilent 4448a using the latest version of VI. I just run the Initialize.vi; however the error message keeps popping

Instrument reports:
+227,"Instrument mode request not supported"
+0,"No error"

Then I run the code step by step, what I found was that the error message came from running the Error Query.vi. So I went to the subfolder of Public/Utility and found the Error Query, and then run it individually. Suprisingly, there was not any error at all.

There is something being setup wrong.  The Error Query requests errors from the instrument.  Somewhere in the setup, the instrument stored a error code 227.  Once the error buffer is read, it is deleted (it's like a FIFO).  So it makes perfect sense that running Error Query alone does not generate any errors.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,543 Views)

Could you please explain it in more detail? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,527 Views)

The Error Query issues the SYST:ERR? command. This is documented in the instrument manual.

There are three separate drivers for the 4448A. Which one are you using? Obviously, you would have some issues if you use the CDM version and you have the CDMA model of instrument (or vice versa). That would certainly account for the error that you are getting.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,516 Views)