LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 34980A Thermocouple read error

Hello all,

I am attempting to get readings off of a thermocouple using an Agilent 34980A unit connected to my laptop via ethernet cable. The VI is based off of an Agilent provided example. It is connected to a T-type thermocouple plugged into channel 9, card 1. I have been able to get numbers and no error codes, however, the output values are basically either infinity or zero. 

I have attached screenshots of both windows, as well as the settings of the thermocouple setup in LabVIEW. What can I change to get numbers more in line with reality?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(3,530 Views)

@Option13 wrote:

Hello all,

I am attempting to get readings off of a thermocouple using an Agilent 34980A unit connected to my laptop via ethernet cable. The VI is based off of an Agilent provided example. It is connected to a T-type thermocouple plugged into channel 9, card 1. I have been able to get numbers and no error codes, however, the output values are basically either infinity or zero. 

I have attached screenshots of both windows, as well as the settings of the thermocouple setup in LabVIEW. What can I change to get numbers more in line with reality?

Thanks

What does the instrument's front panel say?  You should be able to see the readings there.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(3,527 Views)
It looks like you are configuring a single rtd and two voltage channels. No thermocouple.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(3,517 Views)

Yeah, you need to change the example in order to get what you want.  There is a thermocoupler setup VI that you need to call instead of the RTD and then get rid of the voltage channel setups.

I hate that Agilent box...give me an NI DAQ card anyday.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(3,500 Views)
The only thing worse than the 34980 is the 34970.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(3,494 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
The only thing worse than the 34980 is the 34970.

I now have a new mantra when I have to go to a certain customer's site...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(3,488 Views)

Oops, guess I uploaded the wrong version! I've been trying to hook it up to both RTDs and thermocouples and have configured the VI with both Thermocouple and RTD Vis. No change. The other VIs are just there for experimentation and to play with, if they present an issue I can remove them.

Here is how it looks now, and has looked in the past on previous attempts. I'll try this again as soon as possible, but can anyone see any issues with the setup?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(3,453 Views)

I'm re-factoring an old test that uses the 34970 (just purchased a bunch of 34972A models with USB).  They're pricey when you add a few modules but they're very versitile and easy to work with.  I would recommend them when you need 6 1/2 digits and lots of input channels.  We've only had one unit go down after almost 10 years of constant use.

Any particular reason for the dislike???

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(3,445 Views)
NIquist,

I mostly used the matrix switch module. For high channel counts, it got messy to wire and required several mainframes. There was no convenient way to connect the internal dmm to the matrix either. The scanner type modules were much slower than a DAQ card and you had to read one channel at a time.

The last time I used the 34980, the customer had one with 100+ thermocouples and was irritated with me when it couldn't do a scan in less than a second.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(3,437 Views)
Option13,

You have an error going into the thermocouple setup.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(3,436 Views)