LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages and Disadvantages of Dual booting Windows on PXI Device

Hello,

In solving my previous problem of running a DLL in RTOS I've stumbled upon another solution. But i wanted to know the pros and cons of this before i make the leap.

I want to install windows on the PXI device so that the NHR DLL files are run inherently on the windows kernel and i have access over my DAQ devices without placing them in the remote target.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of installing a windows only on the DAQ device and running all my operation from it. Do i loose my real time features? I dont know, I'm really new to LabView and may sound really dumb. Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

With Regards,

Khalid.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,689 Views)

If you do that, you give up all the benefits of LabVIEW RT.  You will not be able to run the RT-specific functions, and will not have the time-determinancy and low jitter characteristic of the RT Platform.

I've gone the other way.  I used to have a dual-boot system with Windows XP and LabVIEW RT, booting from a Floppy (yes, an old PXI controller).  At one point, I reformatted the hard drive and made it bootable directly to LabVIEW RT.  So much better, faster, more reliable (I wasn't using WinXP for anything other than viewing the data files stored on the PXI's disk, but (a) I can see those files just fine with FTP and (b) I now don't save files on the PXI, but Network Stream them directly to the PC for saving.

Bob Schor 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,660 Views)

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your insightful answer. I also thought this might happen, loosing all the RT features.

I have another question for you. If i use a RT variant of windows like "Windows Embedded 8", will this make any difference? Can i regain my RT features by it or i have to go with the LabView RTOS.

I'm pushing towards a windows system because i have to run this DLL file from NHR which is not supported by the LabView RTOS.

Moreover, I could just install just windows onto the PXI controller. I'm not being able to make it dual boot. Can you guide me towards proper guideline to do so? I looked at the knowledge base file about dual booting, but the instructions dont exactly match with my available options in BIOS setup.

Any suggestions from anyone is much appreciated.

With Regards,

Khalid.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,634 Views)