From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Fonts for embedded UI on cRIO-9035

Hello all,

This may be a simple request, but I have not had any luck with it so far.

I have an application running on the cRIO-9035 utilizing the embedded UI, and while I understand there are some limitations to how the embedded UI displays certain elements, I'd like to know if it is possible to add new fonts for numeric displays to the embedded executable. 

The font I am working with at the moment is the 7-segment font suggested by NI at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/5DCD38A1D020155386256DA9007DF506. I was able to add this font to the host computer and build the deployment package without problems.  I was also able to manually transfer the font over to the 9035 and verify that the font seems to be working by selecting it from the Appearance --> Font panel in the XFCE desktop environment.  Selecting the font this way just changes the font of all of the panel text rather than the specific controls of the embedded VI, but I'd think that at least indicates the hardware supports the font.  However, when running the VI, I instead see a pixilated version of a default font, presumably indicating the desired font was not found.

Are there any special steps required to add a new font usable by select components of the embedded VI?

Thanks,

-Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,414 Views)

Typically, additional fonts don't render as you would expect via the embedded UI. Your best option for customizing the UI is a little less obvious but provides an immense amount of flexibility by using a thin client displayed in the embedded UI and hosted by a web service running on the target. The process by which this can be done is outlined in the following community page:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-41894

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,380 Views)

Thanks for the feedback.  That is an interesting solution, though I still have a couple of questions about it. 

- What limitations exist in the UI when using this approach (tabs, menus, popup windows, etc.)?

- Would I need to redesign the UI as a web page or could I use the same UI and code running on the cRIO currently?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,352 Views)

I haven't personally implemented this approach, but my understanding is that the limitations are set by what can be rendered in a web browser, which means you should have a lot of freedom in that regard. And I'm not sure that you'd need to completely redesign the UI as this would involve setting up your UI to be used via a web service.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,335 Views)