From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding sine waves and using Fourier transform

Solved!
Go to solution

My assignment is to generate two sine waves of differing amplitudes and frequencies, add the sine waves together, and perform the fourier transform on the added sine waves. When using the the FFT Power Sprectrum and PSD vi on my added sine waves, I am then supposed to be able to look at my waveform graph and locate the amplitude of the first sine wave at its specific frequency and do the same with the second sine wave. My problem is, when completing this operation I am getting max values at my two specified frequencies but the amplitudes do not match to their corresponding values. Does anyone know what i am doing incorrectly? Please let me know. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,093 Views)

Read the help for the function.

A power spectrum does not give amplitude.  It gives an RMS value and is units^2/Hz.

It gives the square of the amplitude divided by 2.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,085 Views)

Thank you, is there a VI that would output the amplitude rather than the RMS value? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,027 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author loudoe77

There are several FFT functions scattered throughout.

One I found is called Amplitude and Phase Spectrum.  It puts out amplitude as RMS, but you can multiply that by square root of 2.

Message 4 of 5
(4,021 Views)

Nice assignment 😉  you can learn a lot on DFT.

while monitoring your DFT results, play around with the frequencies and the number points used by the DFT. ...   and be surprised by the effects of windowing 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,004 Views)