From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding instrument drivers on the fly

You, as the programmer, would have to create each plug-in. As I already said, the only existing architecture is IVI. Everything else requires some effort on your part.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(425 Views)

Hi Dennis,

do you mean to say that I first have to create IVI drivers for each and every instrument and then encapsulate it into plugins individually?

Also, will the parent application (the main vi in which instrument drivers have to be loaded dynamically) support the plugin addition operation without the need of any modifications in itself? 

It will be really helpful if you can please clarify the steps in achieving this. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(419 Views)
No. You can either use IVI or use native LabVIEW drivers that you would modify. Both techniques would require significant changes. It is something that should have been designed into the program in the first place.

Have you researched IVI? You use generic class drivers (i.e. IVIScope) in the program and in MAX, you configure which specific instrument driver should be used.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(403 Views)

Hi Dennis,

I started using IVI class of drivers which I think would serve my purpose. Thank you for suggesting me that Smiley Happy

However, I have a couple of questions here:

• How would I add a third party instrument driver under the "drivers sessions" in MAX?. e.g. drivers for KE6485 is not available at ni site and has to be downloaded from the KE website. I downloaded and installed the same in my PC but it is not showing up under the "drivers sessions" list in MAX.
  • If IVI drivers for an instrument are not available at all then, how can I create my own IVI drivers in an efficient and compatible manner?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(383 Views)

First off you need the Keithley IO Layer to expose the keithley IVI driver.  that should have come with the device but can be downloaded from Keithley.

now to the more important point.

IVI is great when you have classes of instruments that all do about the same thing and you don't need a feature that is only supported by a specific device.  And, there are IVI drivers in existance.  Creating your own IVI driver is not for the feint of heart.  Totally possible however, you should not even attempt it unless you understand how your device fits into the IVI consortiums definition of each class of instruments and the device DOES fit that definition.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(373 Views)