From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding instrument drivers on the fly

Hi,

Is there any way to add instrument drivers on the fly in a labview code?..I want to give user an option through which he can work with any oscilloscope model by including its driver on the fly..All suggestions are welcome..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,082 Views)

Hi mnx,

you can load VIs by using VI server functions.

There are examples - and other discussions on this topic as well...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,061 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thanks for replying. Can you please post some more information specific to handling instruments using vi server? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,050 Views)

Hi mnx,

you have to write your own framework that loads and unloads "device driver VIs" when needed. You will need some additional VIs to transfer data to and from your device drivers.

I didn't work with ActorFramework so far (don't use LV2012 until now), but maybe this will be helpful too...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,046 Views)
The only existing architecture for this is IVI. If you use the class drivers, you can use any instrument that has an IVI driver.

If you've ever looked at any other driver, it should be obvious that each has different functions and different controls and indicators. As mentioned you would need wrappers around the standard drivers - OOP.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,026 Views)

Somewhere in the NI Communities, there is an article on how to make a plugin class uses PPLs.  My link seems to have disappeared.  So I'll have to dig to find it again.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,011 Views)

@crossrulz : please go ahead..Smiley Winki am looking forward to it..Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,990 Views)

@mnx wrote:

@crossrulz : please go ahead..Smiley Winki am looking forward to it..Smiley Wink

Plug-in Architecture using Packed Project Libraries (lvlibp)

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,980 Views)

any new thoughts in this regard??

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,913 Views)

Hi crossrulz,

I went through the document present at the link mentioned by you. It basically says that inorder to call one among several plugins in the main vi, one has to first create those plugins.

In my case I just want to load different instrument drivers based on the instrument selected by the user in the application. Now these instruments drivers are exactly those which are available in the ni website.  

So, how can I implement it in such a way that the user doesnt have to create plugins out of the downloaded drivers as he might not have the LV programming knowledge?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,908 Views)