LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add comments to a file name

Hi

In my VI when I want to collect and save data to CSV , I use curremt date and time for the file name but I would like to also use a popup message and ask if the operator wants to add a comment to the file name ( just a string ) . Could u plz help me how can I implement it in LabVIEW

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,034 Views)

There's an express VI for an input dialog window.  From there, just use Concatinate String to build up your file name and then Build Path to add the file name to the folder path.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,029 Views)

Unlike Tim I don't really care for the polling that goes on in the Express vi. And, I really hate saving a vi "modal" so I keep a few of these around.Prompt(String).png

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,026 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Unlike Tim I don't really care for the polling that goes on in the Express vi.

Heck, I didn't realize the Express VI polled the buttons.  I was just trying to keep it simple for the OP.  I just started hating Express VIs even more.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,014 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Unlike Tim I don't really care for the polling that goes on in the Express vi.

Heck, I didn't realize the Express VI polled the buttons.  I was just trying to keep it simple for the OP.  I just started hating Express VIs even more.

They used to have to since there used to be versions of LabVIEW that did not have events And, I suppose they still have to for backwards compatability.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,006 Views)

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

They used to have to since there used to be versions of LabVIEW that did not have events And, I suppose they still have to for backwards compatability.

I call BS.  Express VIs are newer than Event Structures by at least 1 version (Events in 6.0, Express VIs in 7Express).  I think what was missing was the scripting capability to manipulate the event structure and they haven't revisited the express VIs for a while.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,989 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:

I call BS.  Express VIs are newer than Event Structures by at least 1 version (Events in 6.0, Express VIs in 7Express).  I think what was missing was the scripting capability to manipulate the event structure and they haven't revisited the express VIs for a while.

Not that its that big of a deal but Events weren't in all versions until 2012.  How would a student play with the express vis?  Sure your 6.0 Pro version had events....

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,980 Views)

Thanks Jeff

I tried to drag the pic into my block diagram but it just copy the URL address toi Block diagram 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,970 Views)

I jinged it here.  you need to drag to desktop first then drag to BD

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,968 Views)