From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX, Word 2003: struggling new user

Hi,

I'm not new to LabVIEW, but I am new to using ActiveX and am struggling somewhat with the examples and understanding how they work, but I am muddling my way through.

I have hit a stumbling block however: I've added an ActiveX control to the front panel,gone to "add Activex object", "Create Control", but there isn't anything like

Microsoft Word Document,  which is what I am expecting.

Should I be using a control,  or should I be using "Create Document"?

For the record, here is what I would like to do & some background information:

I am working on a semi-automated system for a mechanical assembly. The system will guide assemblers through the assembly process, step by step.

The instructions for are in word document form.

What I would like to do is display the relevant page from this word document on the front panel, and hence step through page by page as the assembly progresses.

From what I understand, this should be possible.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,641 Views)
Forgot to add, I need/ am using use LabVIEW 7.1 for this application, although I have LabVIEW 8.5, but this won't be used for the application.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,640 Views)

Hi Andy,

There doesn't appear to be an easy way to make the Word document viewable in an ActiveX container as there is no ActiveX viewer for Office Word. There are viewers for PowerPoint and Excel.

Depending on how long the instructions are and how you wanted to control then i.r. scroll or just page by page, you could just hage each page as a JPEG file and use them as picture controls

Would that be a possible solution to your application?

Kind regards

Jordan Power
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,589 Views)

I would suggest making a PDF of the document rather than trying to display a Word document. PDF is more transportable, and it doesn't require that you have Office installed on the target computer.

This question has come up many times before. The solution that's usually provided is to use the browser ActiveX control. Search around and you will probably even stumble on some code.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,583 Views)