From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX Invoke Node "Help for.." is not showing correct help page

I have authored a number of ActiveX controls and created HTML help files for them over the past 10 years. I have tried two different controls that when used in a LabVIEW 8.2 and earlier vi correctly show the right page in their associated HTML help file when the user right clicks on the invoke note for a given property/method and selects the "Help for.." for that property/method. However, if the same controls are used in a LabVIEW 2014 vi then performing the same action causes the default HTML help page to be shown. Although it is then possible for the user to search the help for the information, it is inconvenient.

One clue might be that when the user right clicks on the invoke note for a given property/method and selects the "Help for.." for that property/method I see a "command like" (DOS-like?) window very briefly flash up before the HTML help is displayed. I captured this window and it is a c:\windows\system32\cmd.ex window with the text:

'file:' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I am testing using LabVIEW 2014 running on Windows 7 32 bit (though I am fairly confident that the problem would exist on other OS's).

Is this a bug in LabVIEW 2014?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,505 Views)

Back when LabVIEW 8.2 was released, we ran Windows XP, Microsoft was still supporting ActiveX, it was (relatively) easy to find and install the ActiveX Help pages, and all was good.  Now XP is largely disappearing (our place won't allow it on machines with Internet access for security reasons), Windows 7 and Microsoft have largely abandoned ActiveX, help pages are much harder to find.  May be that the Handwriting is Upon the Wall (Mene, mene, ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,482 Views)