From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active X Excel Documentation?

I am looking for documentation on the various properties and methods available for manipulating Excel files. I found the "examples" that come with Labview...but am shocked at the complete lack of documentation!

For example, if I want to create a new worksheet, I know I need to use an "add" method...but HOW do I use it? What about the other four varients that pop up with the Add method (Before, After, Count & Type)? They are somewhat intuitive, but it seems like there should be some kind of documentation for this. I mean, I have no idea whether I should wire a numeric constant to the input of the "Before" variant or what? What does "Count" do? ...etc...

Please help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,304 Views)

IMO this isn't really NIs job to document all this, although yes, maybe the examples could be better documented. It is interfacing with the tool of a different party, in this case, Microsoft. It would be near impossible, or at least way too time consuming, for NI to document all Excel functions. But, luckily, Microsoft does this for you (albeit for text based languages like .net) but you can usually reverse engineer.

I usually just google the function i want, followed by MSDN and it will be the first hit. Usually "object" parameters are references, so you will have to create references for those objects; other times they are a simple true/false boolean etc so you may have to guess/check.

Message 2 of 4
(2,297 Views)

I just found this:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C4ABFFC75C5E6A7186256C4B0083BF3C

It would be really nice if LabView had better context help for this...but this will have to do.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,265 Views)

I have to agree that it really isn't NI's job to document how another program works.  Even MS doesn't do a great job of showing how to use this.

What NI does have is a top notch user forums.  The Excel board contains many examples of how to manipulate Excel using LV and ActiveX.  Just remember that this board is meant to be a repository and not somewhere to post questions.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,263 Views)