From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquiring and plotting data from USB raw

Hi,

I am new to Labview. I have a 3rd party RFID device which i intend to acquire the frequency waveform from the device through using Labview. Since as a beginner, i use the spectrum analyser in the "example" section to start off with and now has error in getting the correct Visa USB raw to connect my device. The program intiallly used Visa instrument as the visa resource name but when i changed the input to the USB raw input there is a class conflict error that says "You have connected a refnum of one type to a refnum of another type and both types are members of some class hierarchy, but there is neither a simple up cast nor type cast between the two classes." 

For the USB raw setting, i have already configured the device using the NI-driver wizard to install the USB raw and tested it through the MAX. So now i believe the problem should be wiring of USB raw to the entire spectrum analyser example. Attached is the spectrum analyzer example. Really hope to get help on this matter. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,629 Views)

No, I'm afraid it's really not as simple as that.

Using the "Instrument" class allows VISA to know that it is a T&M instrument, with a pre-defined set of commands and responses which the device supports.

Switching to "Raw" removes this and means you have to implement every packet on the USB port yourself.  It most certainly will NOT work just swapping out an "Instrument" refnum for a "Raw" refnum.

Why not stick with "Instrument"?

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,611 Views)

Thanks Shane,

Actually i am not familiar with VISA itself and i am using a 3rd party software which i think i should install it through the VISA driver wizard in order for Labview to recognize it. And to install is using the driver wizard i have to choose the USB raw option. There might be a way to straight away use the instrument but i really do not know how. Perhaps i might have a chance to do it with your help? Really appreciate your reply, Shane. Have a nice day 🙂

best regards, 

ALex

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,590 Views)

The example you posted is based on serial port communication. From your software point view, everything is based on RS232. This is quite common in instrumentation. As RS232 is simple compared to USB. The software driver on your host PC emulate a virtual RS232 port.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,585 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,547 Views)